how do i know outside is warm enough for baby tortoise?

Meilu

Location (City and/or State)
uk
I read some info somewhere that saying if human can wear T-shirt outside that would be warm enough for tortoise otherwise it would be cold , is that correct? also if tortoise can have natural sunlight 2-3hrs a day no need a uvb light in the enclosure right?
thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I read some info somewhere that saying if human can wear T-shirt outside that would be warm enough for tortoise otherwise it would be cold , is that correct? also if tortoise can have natural sunlight 2-3hrs a day no need a uvb light in the enclosure right?
thanks
Hi and welcome,
I have a 10 -12 year old leopard tort and he doesn't go out until the ground temps are at least 70F in a sheltered spot out of cold winds etc. I use a digital temp gun to check that.
I'm not sure what the outdoor temps should be for baby Hermanns, but I think all babies should only have short, supervised times outside in an enclosure with shade/shelter and water available and which is secure from predators - cats, large birds etc. How old is your tort?
@Tom allows so much time per inch of tort and hopefully he'll see that I've tagged him and let you know what that is.
Yes you're right about not needing uvb lamps if they can spend time in the sun, they'll just basking and night heat unless it's too cold to be outdoors. Tom will probably also clarify that.

Meilu

uk
Hi and welcome,
I have a 10 -12 year old leopard tort and he doesn't go out until the ground temps are at least 70F in a sheltered spot out of cold winds etc. I use a digital temp gun to check that.
I'm not sure what the outdoor temps should be for baby Hermanns, but I think all babies should only have short, supervised times outside in an enclosure with shade/shelter and water available and which is secure from predators - cats, large birds etc. How old is your tort?
@Tom allows so much time per inch of tort and hopefully he'll see that I've tagged him and let you know what that is.
Yes you're right about not needing uvb lamps if they can spend time in the sun, they'll just basking and night heat unless it's too cold to be outdoors. Tom will probably also clarify that.
thanks Lyn, my tortoise is only 10months old i believe. thanks

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi my view is if the sun is shining and warm they can go out for a short time supervised as great leg stretch, strength and general wellbeing particularly at that age onwards. They must have option of cover, as their natural instinct is open space above = danger from predator. I dug out an oblong trench which is speedys outdoor enclosure which I cover with corrugated plastic. This gets very warm and cozy for day only and he has water food, shelter, ventilation . I regularly check with temp gun as day progresses. He happily stay out for around 5 hours watching birds and planes overhead. You will soon know if it is too cold as they are just immobile and basically will not move.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thanks
What species? For a 10 month old testudo, 15-16C, sunny, dry and no wind, might be enough. For a baby leopard or star tortoise, I'd wait until it was at least 22C or more.

This is not a simple answer of a number on a thermometer. It depends on the ground temps after a cold night, wind, recent rain, cloud cover or not, etc... The tortoise's behavior once outside is a useful indicator too. If the tortoise goes and parks under a bush because it feels too cold, then there is no point in it being outside. If the tortoise is basking, grazing and exploring, then it is probably warm enough.

Some humans are comfortable in a t shirt at 1-2C. I pursue falconry in winter and if it is at least 1-2C and warming, I go t shirt only. If it is less than 1C, I'll wear a long sleeved shirt or sweat shirt. Under normal circumstances, I wear a jacket or sweatshirt until it is around 21C because I hate being cold.

Meilu

uk
mine is a western hermann, July 21 hatched. I did put him on grass yesterday and he was exploring and then parked. yesterday was a warm sunny day temperature possibly around 22-23C