how do I prevent pyramiding?

Location (City and/or State)
northern ireland
Hi, i have a russian tortoise and i’m here to ask how to prevent pyramiding. he is not pyramiding but i just want to know all the things to prevent it so i can make sure he dosent. i know the main ones like improper diet, husbandry etc but is there any others i should be aware of- thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings!

Soooooooooo, most pyramiding that I have seen occurs in tortoises that originate from “Africa” - so, namely Sulcatas, Leopards. Not Russians like you have.

People think these “Africa-originated” torts come from hot, desert-like conditions. So, this is all, incorrect info. They thrive in moist sub-terrainian burrows.

From a study of the literature & @Tom ‘s proven winners, pyramiding is almost certainly caused by starting & growing Africa-originated torts in environments that are NOT high in humidity. Highly humid conditions help keep shells growing smoothly. Hot, dry not humid environments promote pyramiding.

So, you have a Russian tortoise - origin is “Central Asia”....the best thing to do is soak ur tortoise in warm water every few days. Russians aren’t prone to pyramiding, BUT benefit from soaking.

Diet really does not promote pyramiding.......it’s all about moisture / humidity in the environment.

Happy torting....

northern ireland
Greetings!

Soooooooooo, most pyramiding that I have seen occurs in tortoises that originate from “Africa” - so, namely Sulcatas, Leopards. Not Russians like you have.

People think these “Africa-originated” torts come from hot, desert-like conditions. So, this is all, incorrect info. They thrive in moist sub-terrainian burrows.

From a study of the literature & @Tom ‘s proven winners, pyramiding is almost certainly caused by starting & growing Africa-originated torts in environments that are NOT high in humidity. Highly humid conditions help keep shells growing smoothly. Hot, dry not humid environments promote pyramiding.

So, you have a Russian tortoise - origin is “Central Asia”....the best thing to do is soak ur tortoise in warm water every few days. Russians aren’t prone to pyramiding, BUT benefit from soaking.

Diet really does not promote pyramiding.......it’s all about moisture / humidity in the environment.

Happy torting....
oh thank you! he is soaked everyday and i spray his tank everyday! thanks for the info!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, i have a russian tortoise and i’m here to ask how to prevent pyramiding. he is not pyramiding but i just want to know all the things to prevent it so i can make sure he dosent. i know the main ones like improper diet, husbandry etc but is there any others i should be aware of- thank you!
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. This can happen with the wrong substrate, open topped enclosure, or from using the wrong bulbs. All of these things can dry out their carapace too much.

Here is the current and correct care info, and all of this is explained in there:

northern ireland
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. This can happen with the wrong substrate, open topped enclosure, or from using the wrong bulbs. All of these things can dry out their carapace too much.

Here is the current and correct care info, and all of this is explained in there:
alright thank you!!