How does everyone keep & feed their radiated?

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, England, UK
Hi,

As the title suggests, I was just wondering if people could share info on/post pictures of their radiated setups... particularly those that are unlucky enough to live in a climate (like me in the U.K) where they have to be kept indoors a lot...!

Also, what do people feed their radiated torts as the staple diet? And does anyone use much pelleted food with these guys? Haven't tried any yet with mine, but my indian star isn't fussed on pelleted food at all!

My radiated is mainly eating dandelion, hibiscus, plantain, sedum, opuntia, bittercress, pansy, sowthistle and vetch. He had a tiny bit of bell pepper the other day, which he seemed to enjoy.

Thanks!!!

John

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
I do not have any pictures of my Radiata indoor enclosure.... Although I can give you a good care sheet on Radiata that I haven't seen posted on this forum just yet.

I give my Radiata some Mazuri tortoise diet twice a week but if you cannot get your hands on this pellet food in the U.K try out Zoo Med Grassland tortoise diet. You seem to be following the right guidelines as to feeding though.

Here is the Care Sheet written by Bill Zockian

Attachments

• Radiated_Tortoise_Care_Sheet_(1).pdf
    169.9 KB · Views: 112

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Hi,

Thanks for the link to the care sheet, I've been interested to see it and wasn't able to find it anywhere, so really appreciate that!! :)

I have some Zoo Med grassland pellets already (that my indian star rejected!), so might try with a small amount of that. I have had mazuri in the past, I can order it online so might give it another go with my radiated.

Thanks!
John

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
We fed them all type of fresh grass from our yard. with zoomed grassland tortoise food and mazuri.

We kept them indoor most of the time during California winter also.

0007.JPG
Couple of them just waking up in the morning....
0015.JPG
This is fresh grass just cut from my own yard. They love it.

0069.JPG 0071.JPG 0072.JPG 0076.JPG

pierce1979

San Diego, California
What about water, are you guys using strictly distilled water, or does anyone use tap water? So far I've only been using distilled water for everything.

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
We fed them all type of fresh grass from our yard. with zoomed grassland tortoise food and mazuri.

We kept them indoor most of the time during California winter also.

Hey,

Great pics of your setup, thanks! And absolutely lovely looking radiated torts!!

I keep mine on coco coir substrate also, though it has a layer of cypress mulch on top. What sort of lighting have you got in their viv??

I haven't tried mine with lawn grass yet - my star loves it, but they are a grassland species so not surprising. I will offer some to my radiated and see how he takes to it!

John

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
What about water, are you guys using strictly distilled water, or does anyone use tap water? So far I've only been using distilled water for everything.

I wouldn't use distilled water for any tortoise (or reptile for that matter)... apart from in humidifiers/foggers...

I would advise treating the water with a reptile safe dechlorinator though, if you use tap water and it is treated.

pierce1979

San Diego, California
Okay interesting, we have to use distilled for our pair of dart frogs, any particular reason why wouldn't use distilled water or say tap water for the Radiated?

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Okay interesting, we have to use distilled for our pair of dart frogs, any particular reason why wouldn't use distilled water or say tap water for the Radiated?

Distilled water is just pure H2O, and nothing else..... no dissolved minerals or salts at all. Because of this, if an animal were to drink/bathe in distilled water, particularly amphibians, they will absorb more than is natural, due to the massive osmotic gradient created by the fact the distilled water has nothing dissolved in it, compared to the water in the animals body. Therefore its particularly important not to use distilled water with amphibians.

I do use tap water for my tortoises, you just have to neutralize the added chemicals. Bottled water would be another option, though I feel its unnecessary.