How does my baby's shell look? Pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Just wanted some expert opinions, she's just over 2 months old. I'm not exactly sure what a proper shell should look like so I decided to take some pics and see what ya'll(yes, I'm from texas) think. To me, it looks perfect, but like I said, I have no idea what a healthy developing shell should look like.

Thank you!

ixctax.jpg
[/img]
28wjfxk.jpg
[/img]
107qbf9.jpg
[/img]
2nb4mth.jpg
[/img]
2cz3oki.jpg
[/img]
i5cil5.jpg
[/img]
2uzarea.jpg
[/img]
2vv2fsw.jpg
[/img]

GregUnd

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
I think the shell looks good and I love the carapace color...

:D
I love how dark and different "she" is.

Thank you

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
looks good so far. With proper care the new growth should be smooth. The spot on the plastron (the brown one) is that dirt? Or is it part of his plastron (bottom of shell)

GregUnd

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:
looks good so far. With proper care the new growth should be smooth. The spot on the plastron (the brown one) is that dirt? Or is it part of his plastron (bottom of shell)

No, I was wondering about that spot. "She" actually starting peeling or shedding from the spot.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
GregUnd said:
FernandoM said:

No, I was wondering about that spot. "She" actually starting peeling or shedding from the spot.

She? Oh haha okay. I'm not sure mine has ever had a growth like that from the bottom. Do you have any humidity in the enclosure? Do you know the percentage? What about the temps? Hottest? Coldest?

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Lol, I say "She", I wanted it to have the name Terra "the tortoise", so I'm just calling her a she until proven otherwise.

Her enclosure is setup well, you can see pics here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Using-Latex-Enamel-for-tortoise-enclosure#axzz1NWDOuAyF

Hot spot of 105, surrounding area's of 90-100. Behind her wall is a cool spot of around 82 or 83 that she can retreat too if she wants but never does. She loves to burrow in spots, unussually consistent temps of 97 degrees. Her hideaway is sphangum moss that is kept moist and heated to 80-83 degrees. She's fed spring mix in the morning, mazuri in the afternoon, and more spring mix in the evening. Soaked everyday and given vitamins and calcium alternating days. Access to powersun merc vapor buld 14 hours a day.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
The brown spot looks like that is where her umbilical cord was, that should disappear in time, its normal to shed as its the last part of the shell to harden. :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think "she" is perfect! I checked out your enclosure too, very nice! Do you cover it with anything to keep the humidity in?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Ironic at such a young age that she really does look like a 'she'...whatever pyramiding had started with her previous owner, you sure seem to have nipped in the bud! GREAT JOB!

Status
Not open for further replies.