Egg-Shaped Leopard Tortoise Shell? (Pic Heavy)

shehick

Location (City and/or State)
Alaska
I have had my leopard tortoise for almost three and a half months now and he is finally starting to show some white growth which is very exciting! However, I've noticed his shell is not the most even when looking at him from the side, it's more egg-shaped. Is this normal for hatchlings or do I need to change something? He did start pyramiding from our first enclosure but as you can see the growth is much more smoothed out now that he's in a 6x3. He is eating and active, just being a worried tortoise mom as usual.

Sorry @Tom I can't be the relaxed new tortoise mom you want me to be! Haha

Also, please ignore the fact that he's trying to eat the rocks. He doesn't go outside often and just cannot wrap his mind around the fact that they aren't food. He doesn't do this with the slate in his enclosure and is given proper supplements a few times a week.

DSC_0221_zpsna2b8nqw.jpg

DSC_0218_zpszrgilluo.jpg

DSC_0224_zpsehv2ikcc.jpg
DSC_0242_zpspldarjf4.jpg
DSC_0244_zpspqkmq0gu.jpg
DSC_0236_zpsmwpollqi.jpg

shehick

Alaska
@Tidgy's Dad It's hard to photograph because it's either always covered in condensation or it's reflecting the light from the window. It has all the fixin's though, I can assure you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
@Tidgy's Dad It's hard to photograph because it's either always covered in condensation or it's reflecting the light from the window. It has all the fixin's though, I can assure you!
I was not criticizing in any way. I understand the difficulties of photographing it.
Looks super.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you everyone! Glad to know he looks fine and I'm just being paranoid.

@wellington, this is his enclosure - hot, humid and huge. :tort:
20160723_100104_zpswfkmmv8y.jpg
Very nice. I love it. I have one similar. But mine opens different. I like 2 openings on yours better. Does it open on the other side too? Mine doesn't and that's what I don't like about it.
Nice home for your beautiful leopard.

shehick

Alaska
@wellington If you look on the left side you can see a line, there is a full-length zipper there but those are the only three openings. It works perfect for us, it's 6ftx3ft and now that I have a larger base in it, it holds humidity and temps wonderfully. I do have a thread that explains it in length here.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like the butterscotch color leos. Most of mine are white and black but I have one yearling that looks like butterscotch and chocolate. And funny shaped hatchlings usually straighten out soon enough.

shehick

Alaska
@motero Mind showing photos? I'm rather new to torts and don't know much about colorways. I thought he was just a normal leopard tortoise, haha.

shehick

Alaska
@Speedy-1 I would rather be the annoying member that is on here every time he looks at me wrong and have everyone tell me he's fine than say "he's probably fine" and NOT ask, only for something serious to be going on. I treat everything I see wrong as my tortoise's life in my hands so when it does come down to that some day, it won't be looked over and can be corrected before serious damage or worse occurs.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
@Speedy-1 I would rather be the annoying member that is on here every time he looks at me wrong and have everyone tell me he's fine than say "he's probably fine" and NOT ask, only for something serious to be going on. I treat everything I see wrong as my tortoise's life in my hands so when it does come down to that some day, it won't be looked over and can be corrected before serious damage or worse occurs.

"Better safe than sorry" is a good attitude with the little guy's , things can go down hill fast if you aren't paying attention !
t2043.gif

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Thank you everyone! Glad to know he looks fine and I'm just being paranoid.

@wellington, this is his enclosure - hot, humid and huge. :tort:
20160723_100104_zpswfkmmv8y.jpg
Where did you buy the bottom part and also the top? In the future I want to get some Leopards and your enclosure is the kind of set up I plan on doing.

shehick

Alaska
@Carol S I bought the greenhouse on Amazon and the bottom is 3 heavy duty garden bins I cut the sides off of and hot glued together. It'll work good for us until he outgrows it and gets an entire room to himself.