How fast do they grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyDT

5 Year Member
Hello all,

just a quick question all, i keep seeing craigslist adds of people who are trying to get rid of these sulcata's i mean, how fast do they really grow? most people try to get rid of them at the 12-18 inch mark... isint that like atleast 6 or 7 years of growth? seams like that would be plenty of time to figure it out that it wasnt going to stop growing....

just a though.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
They like the little hatchling but not the big adult so sad :(

AdamR

5 Year Member
Haha I agree with both statements! Its the same with all large reptiles, people love that cute little snake at the pet shop...2 years later that burm is 12 feet long and has a large appetite :( I personally can't wait till I have a larger sully, I've always liked the big torts/turts but didn't have the room so I kept box turtles lol

NavyDT

5 Year Member
i know, i would love to get a sulcata, but not for another 12 years when i retire and never have to move again. stupid people.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mine is 18 inches and 5 years old so he is big, I do think the cute factor plays a part and after they buy them they do the research and then realize how big they will get..

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They All Grow Different Depending How the Owner Takes Care Of Them!
& That would probaly be a 3 years old that size, 6 or 7 year old would be much bigger, from what i seeen

M

Maggie Cummings

5 years ago Bob weighed 35 pounds...now he is 13 years old and close to 100 pounds.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
They grow at different rates, many factors influence the rates. They grow very large in deed!

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I have 2, I got them as hatchlings last July at that time they both weighed 40g. Today the larger one weighs 634g while the other one is only 267g. Fred and Ethel are growing at quite different rates. Fred seems to be doubling in weight every 8-9weeks, but I cannot see him weighing 1.3kg by mid June but who knows.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
634 grams at 9 months? Holy cow. Mine are around 400 grams at 11 months and I thought that was big. Wow.

Yes Navy DT, they definitely have different growth rates.

NavyDT

5 Year Member
yea, it was just boggiling my mind reading some of these accounts of their growth, some just seamed to explode while others grew at a more "tortoise" like pace..

do you think it could be sex related? either the males or the females grow faster?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In general the males grow a little faster and tend to get much bigger too, but prior to maturity, I wouldn't expect sex to have much to do with growth rates.

I think the really slow growers are often the result of the initial care they got right after hatching. Most breeders keep sulcatas very dry and chronic dehydration is a very common problem for babies. I have had several like this over the years.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I just measured Fred this morning he is 644g and 14.8cm in length. He weighed 50g and was 7.1 cm in length on 15July which is the first date that I have both a length and weight. I agree with Tom about why my Ethel is growing much slower she is also not very smooth, even though they both have been treated the same since I got them. I purchased both from a Pet store and they did not have a lot of information on them, my guess is they were from two different breeders. Fred is also far more active constantly eating and doing laps of his enclosure while Ethel sleeps more. Both these guys now get to go outside all day and eat weeds and grass, I don't know if this will increase their rate of growth, but I would think so.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
With the elevated methods of keeping, I really see the larger species getting bigger...faster! I didn't see any rapid rate of growth until I added Mazuri to the diet.

daylalee

5 Year Member
Arkansas
Where are you that you keep seeing these? I would like to get a friend for mine. But don't want a hatchling. Mine is aprox 3 yr and about 20 -25 lbs. I have absolutely no intrest in breeding just giving a sulcata a good, safe, and loving home. Where I can sit for hrs and watch them eat and be happy!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.