How long is the average life span of a Cuora flavomarginata?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I saw a thread on one of the Chinese forum claimed that he own a Cuora flavomarginata for over 20 years.

How long is the average life span of them?

Just wondering! ! !!

Turtlepete

South Florida
I don't keep the species. But any chelonian can live to be decades old with ease. American box turtles are known to very long lived, but whether the Asian box/Cuora genus enjoys the same long lives is unknown to me.
Any chelonian can reach 20-30 years with ease, given proper care. To be honest 20 years is a pretty short life span for most species.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I don't keep the species. But any chelonian can live to be decades old with ease. American box turtles are known to very long lived, but whether the Asian box/Cuora genus enjoys the same long lives is unknown to me.
Any chelonian can reach 20-30 years with ease, given proper care. To be honest 20 years is a pretty short life span for most species.

Thank you for the reply. So they have much longer life span and not like RES may only live +- 15 years??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you for the reply. So they have much longer life span and not like RES may only live +- 15 years??
I have a male RES that is 16 yo... Predicting at least 20 more. As long as they have good care, they can reach over 30.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
We assume that an animal like Cuora flavomarginata can live WELL over 20 years, but information that backs that up would be hard to find, especially written in English.

I would bet that they do have the ability to live a long time, though. As I just stated in another thread, I know a person who has a 59 year old RES. So, although most die in death bowls under a year of age, the potential is still there for most all chelonians to live for a very long time.

chelonianchat

5 Year Member
I bought a group of flavos a few years ago. The owner stated that one female was at least 35 years old. She laid eggs the first spring that I had her. She is still getting around good today. I have found that the juvenile females do not start laying eggs reliably until they are 8 or 9 years old. Of course, you can over-grow them and possibbly have them reproduce at 5-6 yrs I guess.