How many years do Sulcatas lay ?

rcm454

10 Year Member!
Much is written about Sulcata egg laying with respect to fequency and clutch size. Does anyone know if Sulcata egg production stops and/or slows down with age ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We've only been breeding them for about 26 years. If there is a slow down at some point, I have not seen or heard of it yet.

I've heard of one really large old female who started laying less, but there could be many reasons for this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt it. I've read that female desert tortoises can lay viable eggs right up to the end of their life. If this is also the case for Sulcatas, I would imagine clutch frequency would stay the same throughout life.

rcm454

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the responses. I do not know what to make of my 25 year old female. She has been laying 4 to 5 clutches per year of 24 plus eggs for many,many years. 2 weeks ago she laid her second clutch of the year but dropped only 11. I lost the male that normally breeds her last year and she does not breed near as much (I do have another male). Could that be the cause ? She is showing no signs of stress.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the responses. I do not know what to make of my 25 year old female. She has been laying 4 to 5 clutches per year of 24 plus eggs for many,many years. 2 weeks ago she laid her second clutch of the year but dropped only 11. I lost the male that normally breeds her last year and she does not breed near as much (I do have another male). Could that be the cause ? She is showing no signs of stress.

Anytime there is a change or interruption in the routine, these things can happen. Could be stress related, dietary, supplement related, hydration level, etc...

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
@Tom, I have a question along the breeding line: do females get bothered by not having a mate? If so, would it be kind to have her sterilized?

rcm454

10 Year Member!
I would bet a female would be less stressed if she did not have a male chasing her down to mate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom, I have a question along the breeding line: do females get bothered by not having a mate? If so, would it be kind to have her sterilized?

I think they are bothered by having a mate. Not having one would make for a more peaceful existence I think.

Spaying and neutering tortoises is not a common practice. I know of no cases of this, so I have no experience to draw from here. I've heard of a penectomy for injury, but not spaying or neutering in the traditional sense like what we mean for dogs and cats.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

I seriously considered having my deformed female salcata (Baby Runt) sterilized because I really think she'd be egg bound and unable to drop eggs, viable ones or not. But, any surgery would have risks and unless your female would experience extreme difficulties laying eggs, I wouldn't do it.
Also, as Tom mentioned, it's not a common practice. As a alternate solution, I would keep the female separated from the male. If possible, keep her really far away cause the males will smell her and break through most anything to try to get to her. Barring any foundational destruction done by the male, it'll be cheaper, less risky for the female, and stress free for her.

Having said that, yes I believe some females would be bothered not having a male. But, there's instincts involved here. My female can sense when her favorite male is around. She's start behaving differently. She expels some whitish, egg-like, lubricant -like stuff in abundance. And she does that everytime she senses him. She gives me the evil eye too. She doesn't do that with the other males.

Last edited: