How much should my 7 month old sulcata weigh?

Tortoise-la-roo

Hello, I got my little baby sulcata tortoise at The Pet Expo in Costa Mesa about 3 months ago from a breeder who said my baby was 4 months, although he looked like a tiny hatchling. When I first got him his weight was 3.9 grams, and now he weighs 54 grams...so I'm curious if this sounds just about right? He is always eating and drinking water...is that normal too? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
By seven months they should be at least 200-300 grams. My babies hit 54 grams after about 3 weeks.

Most breeders start them way too dry, as if they were a desert species, which they are not. This can greatly slow their growth.

Tortoise-la-roo

Thank you all for the helpful responses and the friendly welcomes =D I have one more question. My baby tortoise wants to eat all day is that normal and should I let him? I am scared to over feed him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
It's good that your little one is scoffing himself.
He will eat as much as he needs to and as long as he has a balanced diet and exercise, he should be fine.
They are little eating machines, sometimes.

Tortoise-la-roo

Oh thats great, I made a 4ft x 4ft fort for him to graze out side in the yard and he loves it and gets plenty of exercise every day while I gently spray him down with water so he doesn't over heat. He is getting so big and round so fast...love this little guy=D