How much to feed

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
So my new red foot girl is coming tomorrow. I feel good about WHAT to feed but I don't know how much. Is there a guide based on size? Is it a cup...two...half their carapace? I really haven't found guidelines. I want to make sure she's eating enough but also don't want to waste food. Any guidance for where to find that information? Also How often? Is it more than once a day, daily, every other?

She's 3 years old and will live in an outdoor enclosure in Florida. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my new red foot girl is coming tomorrow. I feel good about WHAT to feed but I don't know how much. Is there a guide based on size? Is it a cup...two...half their carapace? I really haven't found guidelines. I want to make sure she's eating enough but also don't want to waste food. Any guidance for where to find that information? Also How often? Is it more than once a day, daily, every other?

She's 3 years old and will live in an outdoor enclosure in Florida. Thanks!

Feed every day. Start with a pile about the size of the tortoise. If the tortoise eats it all up, feed more the next day. If the tortoise leaves some, feed less the next day. This will change seasonally, with the weather, with the food items offered, etc… Adjust as needed.

Expect the tortoise's appetite to be a bit low for the first few days while it gets used to its new life and surroundings.

daniellenc

Maryland
Any update? How's she eating? Mine came Tuesday and barely eats a leaf a day but's he's about 2 inches long. I couldn't imagine him eating a pile of food as large as he is lol