How much to feed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Im pretty sure I asked this before and didn't get a conclusive answer..
But need to know how much to feed a 45lbs male sulcata..I let him graze all day.. And when I bring him in I feed him a spring mix.. Which he devours in minutes..

So this morning I get up it looked like rain so decided to feed inside... He ate a 3lbs box of spring mix without walking away..Then the sun came out and so did he.. As soon as he was outside He was grazing non stop.. At 6pm I bring him in and give him a a very lg head of romain which he also devoured in like 15 minutes...and I'm pretty sure if I put another one in front of him he would have eaten it also..

Can he be over eating or am I over feeding...he seems to never stop eating

Thoughts , opinions

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Hector:

I got my 100 lb + sulcata when he weighed only 35lbs. He has lived in the same grassy pen for several years now, and I have never fed him anything. He just eats the grass and weeds in his pen. Even during the winter when his Bermuda grass is dormant, I don't feed him. I will toss in the occasional branch off the mullberry tree or trimmings from the grape vine.

If your tortoise grazes all he wants, then I see no need to give him food when you bring him in at night.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Yvonne..Is it normal for them to just keep eating....I'm also thinking about winter when he will be inside...how will I know he has eaten enough??

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they are shelled cows.. eating is what they do...
rain wont hurt them. one that size should be living outdoors with aheated area to go to when needed or cold.
I would get him used to eating baled hay.. or he will eat you into the poor house!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think if he grazes you might be over feeding him, I stated in another thread that they are opportunity eaters, which basically means they will eat whenever food is available. You could also try feeding him hay, that way he can eat when he is done for the day, and he won't eat you out of house and yard.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is no problem with letting them eat what they want, as long as what they are eating is high in fiber and calcium; and low in moisture, carbs, fats, etc.

Spring mix would not be considered high fiber or calcium and is very high in moisture. He can eat all of the grass, 'wild' leaves, hay, etc. he wants, but I'd limit 'right out of the box' lettuces.

Status
Not open for further replies.