How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noved32

5 Year Member
Okay so I am a new mom to a Russian named bob.. He's been digging, walking around and overall been doing great. Not sure how old he is, he is about 6in long? Anyways my question is: I was told to feed him as much as he will eat in 20 mins. Well I put a handful down and he eats most of it but it takes him like an hour.. He does stop and leave food when he's done.. Am I over feeding him? I just worry about him eating for like an hour, should I stop him after 20 mins?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
This is sort of like asking how much food to give a person. It really depends on the nutrients they get.

You can safely give them as much of the low nutrient, high fiber, high calcium food you want but then limit the more nutritious stuff to an amount about the size of the tortoise's head.

Low nutrient stuff is pretty much the green stuff- leaves, hays, grasses, stems, etc. It can also include mushrooms, etc.

The higher nutrient stuff would be stuff with more flavor, like any processed diet or 'chow', veggies, flowers, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most people also leaves the food until the evening or afternoon feeding. Most seem to feed twice daily. They will eat dried greens. I wouldn't just give them 20 mins. Mine, a leopard, would never gain weight if he only had 20 mins.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, if you give a pile that is the size of the torts complete shell that is a good starting point....if you choose to do a second feeding later in the day then go for it and see what your tort consumes as a norm...then you can figure what is the appropriate amount....again, this is a guideline and by no means a recipe for exact...as each tort is different :D

noved32

5 Year Member
Thank you all!! He does love to eat!! Just don't want to get him sick lol!! Adding a new photo of him ..

Oops guess his photo didn't load?

image-3754288772.png

Attachments

• image-579441387.png
    image-579441387.png
    197.1 KB · Views: 21

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They rarely get sick from over-eating. Many of them eat some and then come back to it later. Torts don't seem to worry about wilted or dried up greens as much we do! :D

noved32

5 Year Member
That's good to know cause we have to leave for an over night and I was just going to give him a huge pile but hide it around his home.. Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are grazers. I really think they should be able to "graze" at will. Credit to my friend in Ohio again, cut them back if they are eating fat, not if they are growing. I don't think they can eat too much in a natural grazing situation in an outdoor pen. Indoors, it is possible to over feed, but if you see signs that your tortoise is becoming obese, simply cut back the amount of food offered.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Feed once a day a huge pile, sometimes i will feed twice a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.