How much to feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Lop

5 Year Member
MY new baby russian arrived today, I'll try to put pics up soon but my question is how much should i feed him, today he got as much as in the pics but I think thats a bit much. He's 3 months old and 2 inches. Do I need to add more, cut down on his food or what? Today he left around 3 leaves, I've heard some people say give thm as much as they can eat, some say they should eat all of what you give them etc. so any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0169[1].JPG
    IMG_0169[1].JPG
    857.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0170[1].JPG
    IMG_0170[1].JPG
    978.3 KB · Views: 39

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
I think I read somewhere that a good starting point is to let him/her eat all it can in like 30-45 minutes. Hope that's correct, been long ago since I read that.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
i feed my adult russian tortoise (6 inches) all she can eat in 1 hour. i suggest to feed her/him 20-30 minutes per day or until she stops eating her food, because in the wild nobody will stop them to eat.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I have food available at all times for my baby tortoises. You can sink some pots into your substrate with some weeds growing that he/she can graze on all day. They're easy to grow and a lot of places sell the seeds, I got mine from carolinapetsupply.com . I then put in a variety of other weeds/greens for them to eat once a day. Usually a handful, if I see they ate it all, I add more.

My adult has stuff to graze on also, I put a pile roughly the size of his shell of other greens/weeds also, but when he's out, he's out or he will eat all day ;)

Some people feed as much as they will eat in 20 minutes daily, others feed as much as they will eat in an hour every other day. Again this is for adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.