how often can this be fed?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
A good mix of greens is the best diet. You don’t have to have a mix on the same day, or even the same week, but over time change things about.

Mazuri is a good balanced supplement l. There’s no need to use another brand as well.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
A good mix of greens is the best diet. You don’t have to have a mix on the same day, or even the same week, but over time change things about.

Mazuri is a good balanced supplement l. There’s no need to use another brand as well.
How often do you feed mazuri?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How often do you feed mazuri?
Personally, with an outdoor tort that freely grazes, I only use a pelleted feed when the natural weeds are in short supply. It may start at a couple of times a week and become a daily offering if needed.

When the weeds are growing freely and my tort is grazing, I don't use it all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed my tortoise greens 6 days a week and on day 7 i feed mazuri and greens. I want to supplement more variety to my tortoise diet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoo-Med-Na...words=zoo+med+natural+grassland+tortoise+food

The ZooMed Grassland is an excellent food, and its a good way to amend the grocery store greens. It is a bunch of chopped up grasses and other good stuff that is formed into those pellet shapes. Most tortoises don't seem to like it much at first, but its really good for them especially if you must use a lot of grocery store greens instead of grass and weeds at certain times of the year. Start by soaking a tiny piece of a broken pellet until it is mushy. Then, mix it in thoroughly with the days greens that have been chopped and wetted with a water sprayer. Over weeks or months, your tortoise will come to associate the smell, taste and texture with food, and eventually like it. You can use it every day if you want. Its all good ingredients. I typically use it once or twice a week when I have it.

Mazuri is good stuff too, but in a different way. I like to use Mazuri once or twice a week. I sometimes feed it by itself as a meal, and I sometimes mix it in with chopped greens.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
The ZooMed Grassland is an excellent food, and its a good way to amend the grocery store greens. It is a bunch of chopped up grasses and other good stuff that is formed into those pellet shapes. Most tortoises don't seem to like it much at first, but its really good for them especially if you must use a lot of grocery store greens instead of grass and weeds at certain times of the year. Start by soaking a tiny piece of a broken pellet until it is mushy. Then, mix it in thoroughly with the days greens that have been chopped and wetted with a water sprayer. Over weeks or months, your tortoise will come to associate the smell, taste and texture with food, and eventually like it. You can use it every day if you want. Its all good ingredients. I typically use it once or twice a week when I have it.

Mazuri is good stuff too, but in a different way. I like to use Mazuri once or twice a week. I sometimes feed it by itself as a meal, and I sometimes mix it in with chopped greens.

Glad to hear its good stuff. Right now I'm having to rely a bit more on grocery stuff as its getting colder. I bought some pre alpin testudo mix but it has fairly big chunks of hay in it which my tortoise does not appreciate.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Oh, I’ve read good sounding stuff on that Pre Alpin food. Try chopping it up in the way Tom’s suggested and see how that goes over with your tortoise.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Oh, I’ve read good sounding stuff on that Pre Alpin food. Try chopping it up in the way Tom’s suggested and see how that goes over with your tortoise.
Just got the grass land food and my little guy loves it. He doesn't seem to keen on the Pre alpin food but I'll keep trying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food for my baby tortoises. The night before, I put an amount of the pellets into a small bowl and add water, with about an inch of water showing above the pellets. Then I cover the bowl and set it in the refrigerator. The next morning the water is all absorbed and the pellets are soft enough to break apart with a fork. I add this to the bowl of chopped greens, weeds and grasses and mix it up well.

Tropics

San Diego, CA
I use the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food for my baby tortoises. The night before, I put an amount of the pellets into a small bowl and add water, with about an inch of water showing above the pellets. Then I cover the bowl and set it in the refrigerator. The next morning the water is all absorbed and the pellets are soft enough to break apart with a fork. I add this to the bowl of chopped greens, weeds and grasses and mix it up well.

I will try this. I thought a few minutes of soaking is enough. My baby torts would only eat the outer edges because it’s the only ones soft enough.