How often should I clean/replace substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
Hi All,
We have two new RF's and their indoor enclosure has cypress mulch with some dampened sphagnum. I'm wondering what is the best practice to keeping it clean? Remove solid waste? How often? How often do we change all the substrate?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I was drawn to this post via the PM you sent, and see no one answered.

Cypress mulch is a great substrate for tortoises as it resists decomposing. Though anecdotal, it is a wide held perspective that the same properties that inhibit decomposition tend to make it a poor substrate for a bloom or proliferation of bacteria and fungi.

By wearing cheap 'painters' latex or nitrile gloves you can pick it clean of solid waste and uneaten food. If you have a drain in the bottom of the enclosure you can rinse it off in place. Cypress tolerates repeated washing for several years.

When I have used cypress I would soak it in fresh water to lossen whatever solid waste may be present, then rinse it well. Then place it in a black plastic trash bag, spray copious amount of clear ammonia into the bag, tie it off, and let it sit in the sun for a day or two. Open the bag and let it 'air out' or lay it out on a clean surface, and then it is good to go again. The ammonia will go away as a vapor, once you smell that it is gone, it is indeed gone.

I use it over and over again, but always for the same animals.

As to how often sorta depends on how frequent you pick it clean, how many tortoises are making waste into it, and how deep it is. More volume of substrate to tortoise means less frequent cleaning.

Another consideration is what people call a 'bio-active' substrate where you place decomposing insects into the substrate so they can keep it clean to a certain extent. Sowbugs work well, and sometimes the tortoises will eat them and that is OK too.

Will

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow...I'm so sorry. You posted this way back in July and didn't receive any responses. I always try to answer every post daily if I see that no one has responded. Don't know how this one slipped by me.

Not to take anything away from Will's answer, I'll tell you what I do with my tortoises.

Most of my tortoises live outside 24/7/365, so there is no need for substrate, but each year I'll have either some sick ones or some babies that need to be kept in indoor habitats. With them I use either cypress mulch or orchid bark. I spot clean daily, cleaning up any uneaten food and any feces big enough to see. Then I pour water over the whole thing and mix it up with my hand. I use the same substrate for the whole season that the habitat is set up, usually about 9 months, sometimes more.

Each tortoise keeper's habits are different. You may need to clean more often. Use your own judgement. If it starts to smell, its time for change. If you think it looks dirty, its time for change.

Status
Not open for further replies.