How often should I feed my Hermann's fruit?

Tortoise_general

Location (City and/or State)
Texas, USA
Hi! Soon-to-be tort mom

I'm getting a Hermann's Tortoise (testudo hermanni) and I'm wondering how often I can feed him fruit. Obviously, not very often, but I'm wondering if I should go with something like every two weeks? A month perhaps? Idrk, advice would be much appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A bite very occasionally as a special treat wouldn't do harm, but fruit should not be included in their diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! Soon-to-be tort mom

I'm getting a Hermann's Tortoise (testudo hermanni) and I'm wondering how often I can feed him fruit. Obviously, not very often, but I'm wondering if I should go with something like every two weeks? A month perhaps? Idrk, advice would be much appreciated
Never. Its not good for them. Think about it... If its so bad that you should only do it once or twice a month, why do it at all? Use something good for them as a treat, like a hibiscus flower, or some grated squash, or a dandelion.

Check this out and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
I agree with Tom. If you want to give the tortoise treats, give them something that they'll love and that is also good for them.

Fruit is bad for them.

My Hermann's tortoise goes nuts for zucchini squash. He likes it even better than Mazuri or Hibiscus/Rose of Sharon flowers. And he runs to those whenever they are offered.

cariadbach

Ystrad Meurig
Hermann's tortoises are not fruit eaters. They will happily eat it though but it is not good for them. There is plenty of informtion available on the tortoisetable.org.uk website and also tortoisetrut.org - good luck with your new pet - my Hermann's is 58 years of age and looking great living of plants I have specificaly grown from seed in my garden.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don't feed fruit at all, excepting cucumber, which is actually a melon!

There are so many options for "treats." A button mushroom, a green bean or snap pea, a slice of winter squash or yam, the very top of a carrot or a small bit or bell pepper, a hunk of any summer squash, one or two small okra. Your tortoise will be very happy with any of these and as they take more time to eat than fruit, the treat is even better!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hermann's tortoises are not fruit eaters. They will happily eat it though but it is not good for them. There is plenty of informtion available on the tortoisetable.org.uk website and also tortoisetrut.org - good luck with your new pet - my Hermann's is 58 years of age and looking great living of plants I have specificaly grown from seed in my garden.
While there is some useful information on those old sites, much of the advice given is old and wrong. Please take a moment to read this so that you will be caught up to speed with what works and what doesn't in regard to safe and effective tortoise care:

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
I am new to baby tortoise care, but my 2 hermann babies really do love zucchini. I give it to them more as a treat than diet, but from what I read it does no harm. I have avoided fruit. I once gave them a little fresh mango and it was almost scary how they attacked it! Voraciously, so I withdrew it, did a little reading, and no more mango.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am new to baby tortoise care, but my 2 hermann babies really do love zucchini. I give it to them more as a treat than diet, but from what I read it does no harm. I have avoided fruit. I once gave them a little fresh mango and it was almost scary how they attacked it! Voraciously, so I withdrew it, did a little reading, and no more mango.
Glad you learned about the fruit.

Zuccini is not toxic or harmful. The problem with zucchini is that is has very little nutrition and they will fill their little tiny baby tummies with it to the exclusion of the foods that they should be eating. For babies, I like to put some cucumber of zucchini in a blender and liquify it, and then drip a little on to their greens for the day and mix it all in. The liquefied stuff makes up less then 5% of the total diet for the day, but it makes them eat it with vigor. This is also a good technique for introducing new and unfamiliar foods to babies, or adults too for that matter.

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
Thank you @Tom . That's a good tip on the mix. I had been using the zucchini dusted in calcium powder too, as a way to get them to eat it. Now I am just making a small piece of cuttlebone available and they seem to nibble on it of their own accord. Good to hear the confirmation zucchini needs to be really limited. Thank you.