How often should my tortoise go poo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollie1999

5 Year Member
We have had our tortoise since Friday so 4 days now and he has not gone poo. Is that a problem and how often should he?
Hollie

Winnie-and-Oliver

5 Year Member
I am having the same problem. Neither one of mine has gone yet and i have had Winnie for 8 days and Oliver for 6 days. Wish I had an answer for you. They both poo'd in the boxes coming home from the store, but nothing since. They just finally started eating good a few days ago though...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Yay, another poop thread!

I'm only a novice tortoise keeper myself, and I have often worried that my Chaco tortoise is not pooping enough, but she is a picky eater and must have a slow digestive process. Sometimes she goes for several weeks without pooping. Now that she is eating more and exercising more in the summer weather, she poops every few days.

I think poop retention is very common in torts that have just been moved to a new environment. Soaking your tort in warm shallow water for 20 minutes every day or so should help, but I don't think you need to worry too much yet. ;)

Welcome to the forum! Post some photos of your new torty for us to admire. :D

hollie1999

5 Year Member
Thank you for your info! I will try the warm water cause I also heard that from someone else.
Thanks again!

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Obviously they won't poo much if they don't eat much. My tortoise always eat more when they're outside during summer under the sun, and they'd poo a lot :cool:.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they poo when they want to, it depends on the animal of course, like my RES they poop all the time, and since the like to poop on dry land I also hear it all the time. Your tort could be eating it's own poo also, and then you woud never see it's poo, you could always soak them that helps with poo, sorry I just wanted to see how many times I could put poo into a post . POO!!

Did I mention poo?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Tank poos every day when he is soaking but he is a eating machine:)

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
I know tortoise digestion is very slow.
When ever I receive a new animal, I always assume the worst case, and think they have not eaten in weeks.
I believe this especially with WC Tortoises.

Mine seem to leave something around their food tile every other day, urates normally every day to some degree always beside their food tile.

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Is saying poop crossing the line? Or can I only say poo? :p The final p makes a difference! If you get them to soak for a while and then put them out in the sun and try to get them to move around that'll usually do the trick. :D
Happy pooping!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OMG, where have you been? Don't you know that here on the Tortoise Forum we only use the term "poop"? "Poo" has been deemed gross and offensive, so please observe the niceties of Forum etiquette. Geez. :rolleyes:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Poo poo poo poo, why was piglet looking in the toilet? he was looking for pooh

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"OMG, where have you been? Don't you know that here on the Tortoise Forum we only use the term "poop"? "Poo" has been deemed gross and offensive, so please observe the niceties of Forum etiquette. Geez."

I like feces.

Actually what I mean is that I like the term feces, not the actual feces. LOL

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Aladar NEVER stops...

His motto: Anytime is a good time to take a dump!

Bear

5 Year Member
I've only had my George for 5 days or so, but I never catch him having a poo unless he ends up in water or gets startled and agitated.

I swear I think he goes only in his hide and buries it, either on purpose or by accident, because ive stuck my hand in there and never ended up covered in tortoise feces.

Status
Not open for further replies.