How old a Russian tortoise can mate and produce eggs?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
My Russian tortoise is 12-13cm long in belly shell. I bought it from Petco last year and nearly didn’t grow in one year. I checked the growth rate of the Russian tortoise and I guess she may 4-10 years old. And I posted the picture in another thread and was told she is female. Can she mate and produce eggs at this size and age? If so, I will try to get a male Russian, put them together and try.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is just under 5 inches to small females need to be 6 inches min. Bigger is actually better (health wise)

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
If you want to breed Russians responsibly, have at least 3 females for 1 male.

Males are super aggressive and they will harass and constantly mate a single female to the point her health will suffer. She will stop eating and hide more to avoid the male.

Russians in particular don't do well in pairs.

qiangzhu

Washington
If you want to breed Russians responsibly, have at least 3 females for 1 male.

Males are super aggressive and they will harass and constantly mate a single female to the point her health will suffer. She will stop eating and hide more to avoid the male.

Russians in particular don't do well in pairs.

Ok. Just curious. What tortoise do good in pair mating? Burmese Star? Radiata? Sulcata?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok. Just curious. What tortoise do good in pair mating? Burmese Star? Radiata? Sulcata?

No tortoises do well in pairs. If anything, they should be put together very briefly to mate, and then separated. Groups are much better because the stress is spread out and a pecking order can be achieved.

Considering your female is wild caught (all petco tortoises are), I personally would not breed her. You don’t know her genes or where she came from. That is what I personally would do, however, and you can make your own decision.

qiangzhu

Washington
That is just under 5 inches to small females need to be 6 inches min. Bigger is actually better (health wise)

Thanks! Are all the tortoise recommended mating size is 6 inches min? Or for some larger tortoise, like Burmese star or Sulcata, the min size will be even larger?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Each one is different