How old is my Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noved32

5 Year Member
How can I tell how old my Russian is? I got him about two weeks ago and he (I think it's a he... How can I tell?? Lol) is about 5-6 inches across his shell.. I know he was captive bred but that's all I know...he is a cool little dude!! Lol already getting to know the hand that feeds him lol!!

image-3005765253.png

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
About between 6-8 years of age. Would be my best guess. I have four cutie Russians. 1M 3F...

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
I think in the 5-10 year range is pretty accurate. My little dude is almost 4" and I believe he is about 4-7 years old.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Eweezyfosheezy said:
He looks wild caught to me. If so then it would be very hard to distinguish how old it is.

How can you tell he/she is wild caught? I'd love to know :)

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Ah thank you! I did wonder if that was it. Interesting, thanks a lot :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Devon:

If your tortoise were captive bred his shell would look more pristine, and the growth between the scutes would be way lighter. Your tortoise is probably around 10 years of age, almost full grown, and wild caught.

If you'll post a picture of his underside with a clear shot of the tail, we can tell you if its male or female.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
He does look wild-caught, or perhaps long-term captive. You can tell because the shell is dark (essentially tanned due to lots of sun exposure), and the rings on the carapacial scutes are very close together, indicating slow growth and abrupt periods of dormancy during brumation and aestivation.

In that case, you can look at his plastron and count the major rings on his plastral scutes. That will tell you his age in years. This technique only works in wild tortoises (or at least those that lead a semi-wild existence), because of the alternating periods of fast and slow growth. In gopher tortoises, this has been shown to work until the age of about 20, after which the rings laid down are too narrow to be easily differentiated. There's probably a similar upper limit for this technique with other species, too.

By that photo, I would also estimate your little guy is around 5 years of age.

noved32

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the info... I'm shocked to know he's that old!! Lol I figured maybe a few months.. Ya I'm a newbi!! Lol well I hope being wild caught if he is, that he's healthy, I'm currently looking for a vet in the flint michigan area that treats torts... My dog vet doesn't.. Once again thanks for info I'll post underside photos soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.