How should I offer his food??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello all :)
When I feed Hermy, I give him all the food in small pieces (that I cut with my fingers and not a knife because I want to be sure all the pieces is small). Once, when I just got Hermy (his weight back then was around 110grams) he ate a big piece and he chocked for about 20 minutes on it. Since then I am very careful with the size of the pieces I offer him. When I see the post and pics of everybody here, It seems like I am the only one that does that. Should I start feeding Hermy the real size of the greens or continu cutting them in small pieces? Hermy weights now 212grams so he is a little bigger. The problem is I am scared that he will chocked to death when he eats and I am not home, because when he eats the whole piece of greens, it seems like he has to eat it in one bite.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is something of a quandry: to cut it up or not? Most babies' beaks are just not strong enough to actually bite off the food, especially loose food that moves around as they eat. If the food was attached to a root in the ground so they have something to pull against, then they could actually bite off a piece. And yet if we cut up the food all the time, we are just asking for the beak to grow and not wear down naturally. So my rule of thumb is to cut up the food into thin strips for the first year of the babies' lives then after that see if they can't bite off pieces on their own.

Since you have had a choking incident, I would continue to cut or break up the food for a while longer. And you can feed him on a rough surface to help with the beak wear.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.