How to get a ivory sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
How do you get them I don't mean go buy one do you breed a Sulcata and a leopard? Or is it just pure blood lines?

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hell no! Ivories are 100% percent sulcata. The main way to get them is to contact Richard Fife. Otherwise, just breed thousands of sulcatas for years, and hope you get lucky.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Ivories are sulcatas which are leucistic. Hybridization has nothing to do with it.

They possess two copies of a defective gene influencing melanin production.

You can either get two hets, an ivory and a het, or two ivories if you want to produce them. Getting both a male and a female baby will require some luck. Getting the same as subadults will require some money.

There is a handful of breeders. I am all out of babies for the year, as my production is low right now (my female hets are young adults). I like to buy from Richard Fife and Bill Corwin and would not shy away from repeat business were I looking for more. I am not a fan of the other breeders I have communicated with for various reasons. One claimed to be offering both sexes, but was really only offering his excessive surplus of male animals that were being described as females. Another sent me photos of his adults that may or may not be hets, but they were visually normal and they looked liked they had suffered some serious abuses (really, really messed up shells). He called them ivories. They were not. After pointing this out with a photo of my own ivory male for comparison, he went rather crazy over email. When he does offer ivories for sale, he typically offers babies for over 1k and adult males for over 3k. Since I could buy babies elsewhere for 500-750, why would I waste money on animals that have a higher price tag for no real reason except the seller being disconnected from his market?

While I would be open to getting another female, I am not holding my breath on that or planning on it. 2013 should see around 60-90 ivories, the same number of hets, and 60-120 hets from a Sudanese dam.

I also have two spare 100% hets (1 is for-sure female, but was born with funky marginal scutes, and the other has a feminine tail, masculine anal scutes, and a split scute) from Fife and an immature male ivory that came to me in a pair I purchased with significant pyramiding.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I believe Richard Fife does export, so you could contact him if very serious about buying.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
The pet store that sells sulcatas in my area has a 13 yr old ivory female. She's gorgeous and what got me to get my little Chomper. But he's just a regular sully. Still beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.