How to get sulcatas to avoid eating yard landscaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

natev

5 Year Member
I have two juvenile sulcata's that are just realizing everything in the yard is an edible arrangement. I don't mind that for some things but they are starting to destroy a few plants that I'd like to keep alive. I've set block barriers around a few plants to keep them from eating them, that has worked. However I was wondering, since smell is such a big thing for tortoises, if I would spray them with a scent would they not eat the plant? My initial thoughts are red pepper flakes, fish emulsion, garlic? Has anybody tried anything like this to get the tortoises to avoid eating plants.

Thank you,

Nate
Tempe, AZ
2- Sulcata tortoises approximately 4 years old

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the world of tortoises! ;) If its a concern I'd recommend a physical barrier rather than spraying the plants with something that could potentially harm the tortoise.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There is a solution that's a 100% fail proof...remove the plants. Sullies search and destroy, it's in their genes. If you want a landscaped garden, don't have sullies there. I recently listed a post on finally building an outdoor enclosure for my sullies. The backyard basically was wide open with nothing in it but grass and weeds. I bought 300 cement blocks and put them at the perimeter of the space to block my sullies in. No plants, no lights, no fancy wood work, nothing was put in so that they would have free roam of the 48' by 48' x 2 space. Don't you know it, they just walk the perimeter and graze and won't even try moving the plastic chair I have set in the middle of the yard. Now, if only Adam and Eve would've done that, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.:p

natev

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback. That is what I've figured. I have a decent sized yard, at least in metro phoenix standards, so I can contain them to just the grassy area at some point as they get bigger. Some plants they don't seem to touch, so maybe I just need to get more of those for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be careful. The plants that they don't touch right now might be toxic. When all the other food runs out and your yard is nothing but bare dirt (coming soon :) ), they will start to eat whatever is left. They should simply not have access to toxic plants, or any other plants you don't want them to eat. Don't forget they will need substantial shade where you are, and will likely dig a burrow to stay cool in the summer.

Also, sulcatas should simply not be kept in pairs. They are territorial and one of them will always suffer in this arrangement. They do okay in the right groups, but pairs make it just too personal.

You are headed for some serious conflict in the future. Both between the tortoises and your nice landscaping, and between the two tortoises. A beautiful yard can be designed around tortoises, but you'll need barriers and or raised planter beds. Any thing they have access to will soon be bare dirt and likely contain a large dirt dispersing hole in the ground.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.