Back yard weeds and parsites/pesticides...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've heard that dogs and cats can get worms from eating plants in the yard. Is it the same case for tortoises? And what if you live on the edge of a soybean field like I do? Would any pesticides used in the field leach into my yard, contaminating the plants for tortoise consumption?

I just tried feeding my tort a dandelion I found growing in the front yard, and it wouldn't have any of it. It bit a leaf and started smacking its jaws, then went to bed. lol

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Is there a slight chance you offered cat's ears, not dandelion? I found my torts don't care for cat's ears.

Also on the bean field, I feel comfortable to suggest, unless they are an organic operation, all plants within several dozen yards, even up wind, are being treated with whatever they treat their bean field with. Just is.

As for crossing the species or higher taxonomic barriers, many parasites are not so fussy. The CDC estimates that people, 25 of 100,000 people in the US, have nematodes, and rates are higher in other parts of the world including 'developed' countries.

Will

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Will said:
Is there a slight chance you offered cat's ears, not dandelion? I found my torts don't care for cat's ears.

Also on the bean field, I feel comfortable to suggest, unless they are an organic operation, all plants within several dozen yards, even up wind, are being treated with whatever they treat their bean field with. Just is.

As for crossing the species or higher taxonomic barriers, many parasites are not so fussy. The CDC estimates that people, 25 of 100,000 people in the US, have nematodes, and rates are higher in other parts of the world including 'developed' countries.

Will

It had a yellow flower and dandelion shaped leaves, so I assume it was dandelion. It was the only one left in the entire yard. It's cold here now and the leaves didn't look all that swift so maybe that's why it didn't like it. Here's a pic:

urmz2.jpg

I'm not sure if the field is organic or not, but I doubt it. I have heard crop dusters fly over but not within the past few years unless I didn't notice. I'm pretty sure crop dusters spray pesticides.

I have more than enough insects in my yard, so if there are pesticides present they're not working very well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been feeding weeds from all over the place for two decades. My fecals come up negative. If it can be a problem, I haven't seen it yet with mine or anyone else's.

Many tortoises are picky about new foods. Mine run over and eat the dandelions first. I have tried most of the weeds I feed and they have a much stronger flavor than the store bought greens. You might need to mix in small amounts of new foods to get your tortoise used to the stronger flavor more slowly, instead of an instant change from one meal to the next.

The presence of insects is one of the indicators that I use to judge whether or not to feed wild weeds. If the leaves are pristine and there are no insects anywhere in sight, then I will usually skip them. If the leaves are a little chewed and there are some aphids or other insect present, then I feel a little better about it.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Tom said:
The presence of insects is one of the indicators that I use to judge whether or not to feed wild weeds. If the leaves are pristine and there are no insects anywhere in sight, then I will usually skip them. If the leaves are a little chewed and there are some aphids or other insect present, then I feel a little better about it.

That's interesting. As you can see in the pic, something already ate some of the the dandelion leaf so I guess it's ok.

I did assume the protest was due to the new food. Only within the past couple weeks has it begun to eat chopped cactus pads. They used to be left in the dish every day, but now I don't see any left when I put the new food down. I started it off on cactus by incorporating it into the Mazuri. Now it doesn't leave much on the plate.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom said:

I do this same thing!!

...dang i thought i was smart to come up with this "judging technique" all on my own lol

Status
Not open for further replies.