Roadside weeds?

Jami

Hi! I've seen a ton of chickory and other weeds around parking lots and beside roads. Is it safe to feed these, as I don't think they get pesticides, but they'd get a lot of road dust and exhaust fumes maybe. I'm also thinking about going to the woods to see what I can find. Planting things in my yard and on the porch typically results in them being killed by spiders. We used to get our house sprayed inside and out but haven't for a few years. Can't now because of tortoise. So I've been leery of giving too much right out of my yard because of the spraying.

Let me know what you think. I'm going to try to plant some things but between the chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels, and birds I don't have any luck with gardens either.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't like to gather plants from alongside roadways or parking areas because of all the emissions from the cars. Next time you drive down the freeway notice how black the plants alongside the road are.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Jami

I don't like to gather plants from alongside roadways or parking areas because of all the emissions from the cars. Next time you drive down the freeway notice how black the plants alongside the road are.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. I know of a place that is closed so no one lingers in cars there anymore. I may check the field near there. Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Jami
If you want to grow a garden try growing garlic you get the bulbs from your local store break them open and plant the cloves. Like small onions rabbits really don't like garlic . Good luck and have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jami

Jami
If you want to grow a garden try growing garlic you get the bulbs from your local store break them open and plant the cloves. Like small onions rabbits really don't like garlic . Good luck and have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
Sounds like an excellent plan! Thanks

Jami

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. I know of a place that is closed so no one lingers in cars there anymore. I may check the field near there. Thanks!
Hi again. I just realized how dumb I sound. I'm really not ...completely lacking brain cells. I should have explained better..a lot of the highways and roads here are cut through mountains and you can park and walk up a pretty good distance. Lots of people do it to take pictures. I would not pick them right off the road/highway. But I didn't explain that. Some places are safer to do this, of course than others. But I still don't think it would be a great idea, for the reasons we've said - and safety. My luck there's a law against it anyway and I'd be the one to get busted. I'll just go to some of the woods and fields and look. Thank you!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I scavenge weeds from all over the place. Its a risk, but its a calculated risk. It all depends on your area and your knowledge of it.

I have secret spots that I've been using for years. It should also be noted that I pass up more than I collect because I can't be sure enough that they are "clean" weeds.

Jami

I scavenge weeds from all over the place. Its a risk, but its a calculated risk. It all depends on your area and your knowledge of it.

I have secret spots that I've been using for years. It should also be noted that I pass up more than I collect because I can't be sure enough that they are "clean" weeds.
Thank you - that's why I'm going to go looking. I'm not sure my yard is the best place to get him things after all. I'm going to be extremely careful.