Common Weeds in FL

ShaySRQ

Location (City and/or State)
SW Florida
Hey Everyone,
I'm a New Tort-Mama. I have 2 Leopard Torts (4mos old).
I have a 1/4 acre yard that I'm hoping to make safe for them to roam/graze in as they get older. The problem is that this yard has never been built on, etc so it's just filled with lots of different grasses/weeds. I've done a lot of research, and have been able to identify most of what is out there, but could use some help on a few things that I can't find any info on regarding safety to Torts.
Please see attached PDF.
I included images of weeds that are BAD as well as the ones I would like help figuring out.
Also, if you see anything I got incorrect, please let me know that as well.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Common FL Weeds.pdf
    391.9 KB · Views: 61

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a yard free of pesticides, etc. Also in S Florida (SE)
My tortoises grazed regularly and I watched what they ate and one by one checked them out. All edible.
Thistle. Clover, purslane and hibiscus mostly.
My yard is now heavily treated for ants.
My tortoises are now housed in a pen.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Lespezeda is in the pea/clover family and is likely safe but awfully hard to find references for; I’d skip it.

The creeping beggarweed is also in the pea/clover family, it’s a tick trefoil. I found a couple of references for gopher tortoises eating it but I think I’d skip it for leopards unless you talked to some other leopard owners. (I am not one of them!)

The carpet weed is also known as sticky weed, safe in moderation

Hawksbit and false dandelion are fine

I’d avoid the dog fennel.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hey Everyone,
I'm a New Tort-Mama. I have 2 Leopard Torts (4mos old).
I have a 1/4 acre yard that I'm hoping to make safe for them to roam/graze in as they get older. The problem is that this yard has never been built on, etc so it's just filled with lots of different grasses/weeds. I've done a lot of research, and have been able to identify most of what is out there, but could use some help on a few things that I can't find any info on regarding safety to Torts.
Please see attached PDF.
I included images of weeds that are BAD as well as the ones I would like help figuring out.
Also, if you see anything I got incorrect, please let me know that as well.
Thanks!!
I'd suggest running your list and any unknowns by your county cooperative extension service. They can help with the plant identification, and they are usually delighted to share information about anything they know. They can tell you if they're aware of toxic effects in any other species, especially cattle, other livestock, and horses.

Cattle are usually pretty sturdy, as long as it's a breed adapted to the Florida heat and humidity. If you have any plant in your yard known to be significantly toxic to cattle, I would keep the torts away from it until you completely eradicate it. The cooperative extension service can probably give you some good pointers on how to go about doing that, too.