How to go about rehoming?

LilFeets

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Our sulcata tortoise is male, I'm estimating about 40lbs and 17 years old.

He has pyramiding and a dent/crack in his shell (it looks like a crack but it solid shell under it) from a winter of basically no moisture. He lives in New England, and is owned by my family. They don't know what to do or how to take care of him in winters. He got passed around through a divorce. He's been neglected during the cold months. In the spring and summer he lives outside in a enclosed area with a dog house unless it gets below 60 at night then he goes in and once it gets too cold stays inside in a large area. (It's like a wooden box but the bottom is tile and we put substrate on it.)

Last winter I was living with my family and I helped him stay healthy through the winter. I did 2x weekly soaking baths, and gave him lots of grass to eat, some cuttlebone, cleaned his cage, had heaters on timers. It was still too dry and cold, but I did the best I could. It really showed though because this year he didn't spend the spring trying to recuperate. His personality came out more and he sprints around the yard when we'd let him out of his outdoor enclosure for grazing and walks. His diet is mostly grass as we don't use anything chemical on our yard. We could never get him to eat dry grass, and he gets treats of produce veggies and occasionally some tortoise food from the store.

I just moved down south and now he has no one to take care of him in the winter. I can still lift him, but he's soon gonna grow out of that. I was just reading in another thread about how rescues aren't really rescues and the ones we reached out to never responded anyway. I know they often get rehomed and I'll be the first to admit we had no idea what we were doing with him for a long time. I really want him to have a good home. I'll hop on mobile and post pictures of him. I don't know how to start the process of finding a home for him. I live in an apartment and there's no way I can take him and he can't get the care he needs from the family members he lives with. He was never actually mine to start with. They're willing to let him go for a good home, because we all love him and he's so sweet, but wow he deserves so much better.

LilFeets

Massachusetts
This him. When we let him out for a walk and grazing he typically eats, sleeps in shade, and then goes back to his enclosure when he is done. He sleeps in a dog house when its warm out.

Oh yeah, and his name is Little Foot.

Attachments

• 20220710_153819.jpg
    20220710_153819.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220708_130313.jpg
    20220708_130313.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220701_130223.jpg
    20220701_130223.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10

LilFeets

Massachusetts
Also can anyone speak to the disease that is going through sulcata's right now? I saw it briefly mentioned in another thread and wanted to know if I'm rehoming him if I need to be worried about him catching something if they have other tortoises.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I rehomed two sulcata males earlier this year.One was 12 inches and the other was a yearling. I paid to put ads on Kingsnake.com and also advertised on Fauna Classified for free. After several people responded to my adds I was able to find good homes for both. It took time and effort but it can be done. I shipped through Ship your reptiles .com. At 40lbs he might be a delta dash or pick up only. I know its a lot for a tort you really didn't want to begin with but there is not a whole lot of good alternatives. Good luck Im hoping it works out for you

OliveW

Branford, FL
God Bless you for helping this handsome guy! I hope you can find the best home for him.

I feel like starting a Sulcata rescue may be my calling, but that's far in the future. There is a very real need and I have the climate, space, and passion for these creatures. I have a lot to learn first.

LilFeets

Massachusetts
Thank you both for responding! Unfortunately, the way my brain works is that when I lived there it was easy to help him physically, but the logistical stuff is where I get overwhelmed. I'm going to look into kingsnake and classified. I guess I'm not even sure how to vet someone properly. I'll look into delta dash too, but I also know that my mom and I would be willing to road trip him anywhere, as long as he would be okay with that distance. I've heard people say you can soak them for a long time the days before and then take them on a road trip. I don't want to stress him so he gets sick, but he is pretty hardy.

@OliveW I really, really, hope you end up there eventually! I saw your post on another rehoming thread and it made me feel so happy that someone cares enough about these creatures to put the care into them that you and others do on here. If I can find anyone with half of your passion to take him I'll know he's in good hands haha

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
Hang in there I really think if you put some adds out and stick with it ,its just a matter of time before you rehome him. There are adds out there for sub adults and adults with asking price of $500 to $700. Someone will be the perfect fit for him. There is a lid for every pot