How much to feed hatchling?

CHollman82

I took my new hatchling sulcata outside for the first time last night (I just got him 2 days ago) and he wandered around in the grass eating non-stop for about 20 minutes, mostly clover but some straight grass as well. Should I run home on my lunch break today and pick some grass for him and put it in his enclosure or will he be fine until I can take him out again tonight?

Should I give him as much as he will eat, always having a supply of food available for him to graze at his leisure or should I only give him a certain amount each day or what? If I pick grass for him should I get what he seems to like (clover) or a mix? Should I be worried about any natural weeds in my grass? (I'm in upstate New York, no idea what type of grass I have or how to identify any of the weeds in it).

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I feed as much as they will eat. The larger the variety, the better. You do need to identify the weeds to ensure they are not toxic. The tortoise table is a great resource. You can also post pictures in the food, plant id section. We have many members who can help identify.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
You may want to purchase a seed mix. I just planted a mix I got from tortoisesupply.com .I planted them in foil trays so I can just put the tray right in their enclosure. I also smothered a small section of grass with newspaper and soil and planted more seed there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California