Another annoying feeding thread :)

steppingonlegos

5 Year Member
Our sully is 3 and we just transitioned him outside this summer. He has access to a ton of fresh grass, not many weeds. He has hay in his house but I’m not sure he eats it. I assume not. He’s always been a picky boy, intolerant of change. I see him eating the grass but not a ton. Based on his appetite I would expect him to have razed the entire area by now if he was eating what I understand to be an appropriate amount of it.
We supplement but that’s where my question comes in. We offer a mix of stuff from my yard and greens from the store. I’m working on diversifying what we have to offer him. But I don’t quite have a handle on how much we give him and how often? Should I give him just a little daily rotating through what we have available? Or should I give him a big shell sized heap less often? Or none at all until he’s plowing down his grass? No matter how much we offer, he will immediately polish it all off in an hour and I question whether he’s the one sully willing to overeat ? but he doesn’t ever eat grass that way. So getting him to balance his eating in appropriate ways so that grass and weeds are the vast majority of his intake is a challenge.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Our sully is 3 and we just transitioned him outside this summer. He has access to a ton of fresh grass, not many weeds. He has hay in his house but I’m not sure he eats it. I assume not. He’s always been a picky boy, intolerant of change. I see him eating the grass but not a ton. Based on his appetite I would expect him to have razed the entire area by now if he was eating what I understand to be an appropriate amount of it.
We supplement but that’s where my question comes in. We offer a mix of stuff from my yard and greens from the store. I’m working on diversifying what we have to offer him. But I don’t quite have a handle on how much we give him and how often? Should I give him just a little daily rotating through what we have available? Or should I give him a big shell sized heap less often? Or none at all until he’s plowing down his grass? No matter how much we offer, he will immediately polish it all off in an hour and I question whether he’s the one sully willing to overeat ? but he doesn’t ever eat grass that way. So getting him to balance his eating in appropriate ways so that grass and weeds are the vast majority of his intake is a challenge.
Why should he graze on grass and weeds if you are also feeding him? Or did I misunderstand?

steppingonlegos

5 Year Member
Why should he graze on grass and weeds if you are also feeding him? Or did I misunderstand?
I’m supplementing him because he doesn’t graze much. And there isn’t a ton of variety. We are planting seeds but meanwhile....