Hatchling feeding

Garrett3697

Location (City and/or State)
Stayton,OR
Hello everyone! I brought home my first Sulcata tortoise a few days ago, he’s approximately 1 month old. He’s pretty shy getting used to his new enclosure, all temps and humidity is correct and he’s getting his warm water soaks and has pooped twice since I got him. I’m feeding him collard, greens romaine and in the process of getting him introduced to mazuri. My question is what’s the normal amount of food should a hatchling be consuming? I give him a little pile of chopped mixed greens about the size of his shell but he seems to only be eating about a quarter of what I give him. A lot of times he’ll stop eating than I have to pick him up and put him in front of his food and he’ll take a few more bites than go back to burrow or bask, I’m just trying to make sure he’s getting all the food he needs and not starving.

Any Sulcata owners that can give input on this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont own a sulcata but I do have tortoises, leopards.
Instead of telling us your temps are correct, tell us what they actually are. Many say they are correct just to find out they got the wrong info.
What's the day, night, over all and basking temps. What's the humidity?
Babies should have food available 24/7. Water too. The diet should consist of a bigger variety then what your offering.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California