How to seal our turtle table?

NicoleJasien

5 Year Member
So after a rough spring (dog attack by my brothers dog.... Doesn't live here) our Sully has finally recovered and my dad built him a brand new turtle table for my daughters birthday (it's her turtle). So now we have lighting covered and substrate, but I'm not sure how and what to seal it with? Also we would like to plant some plants for him. And just to verify we have coconut fiber mixed with sand. Should we mix some potting soil in there too? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There is a whey based polyurthane available now. It's expensive, but no smell, quick drying, non toxic and easy clean up. I used it when I rebuilt my habitats a year or two ago, and I like it. I got the outdoor variety.

I used coroplast on the bottom for an extra layer of water proofing. I found a source of ridiculously cheap sheets with a corner cut out, so I stockpiled.

The silicon is not working well for me. It gets scratched off some of the areas above ground. Below the substrate I expect it's fine.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I have used a cheap shower curtain on mine. It works well, and since I only use it in the winter, I just throw out the shower curtain in the spring (it gets torn open at times.) Good luck!