How to take care of a Malayan Box Turtle?

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
I have been entrusted to care for a Malayan Box Turtle/Ambonian Box turtle whatever you call it.First,I'm confused.Is it suppose to be aquatic or land?Welp,that's about it.I searched the internet.Some say land,some say aquatic,I don't even know anymore.And if they're aquatic,can my turtle share a home with RES(Red-ear slider) turtles?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
If its a BOX turtle pf sorts then most likely its a land dwelling species. But they need humidity like a baby sulcata with slightly less heat. Like a swamp. NO. NO. NO. Never mix species even if they are both aquatic.

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Thanks!Although I heard that most Asian Box Turtles are very aquatic tho. :eek: Most of this info will go to waste because it's a wild one I'm captivating right now due to someone in my house being like "Ooh turtle!haha!let's keep it!" Most likely to release soon.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Do you live in Malaysia do you?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Haha okay :). Do you have a garden or something to put your turtle outside?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Semi-aquatic. They need lots of water, warm water. They can't swin as good as a slider so the water should be shallow. They will spend most of their time in the water or basking just like a RES.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Saleama said:
Semi-aquatic. They need lots of water, warm water. They can't swin as good as a slider so the water should be shallow. They will spend most of their time in the water or basking just like a RES.

I concur. This is the most aquatic of the Cuora genus, which is more aquatic the North American box turtles (Terrapane) as it is.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Welcome onboard . I am from Sabah too !!

This type of turtle are known as asian box turtle , malayan box turtle .

They are almost totally aquatic when young but become almost totally terrestrial as they age - one catch is they mate in water !!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401616927.360620.jpg
Here's some of mine , while i clean out their enclosure .