How to tell age of my sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
mid-Missouri
I got my sulcata last July and he was itty bitty, still had what appeared to be similar to an umbilical type cord remnant on his tummy, if that makes sense. So I guess the question is how old are they supposed to be when sold? I already know that the people who sold him to me don't know ANYTHING about them, as they had 4 babies in a glass aquarium on paper towels! :( I'm just trying to guesstimate how old Dozer might be...any help is appreciated!

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
The breeder I got mine from wont sell them before a year old but I know a lot sell them a lot younger, sorry not much help but I think it depends on the breeder

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
When I brought my two home they had a piece of the umbilical cord still attached and they were 3 weeks old and scared the heck out of me...

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
mid-Missouri
Wow! I woulda never guessed that he was that young! Is it typical for pet stores to sell them when they are so young? As I said before, I know the store where I bought him had no idea how to care for him properly, nor did they have any information for me on how to care for him at home. Everything I've learned has been from here, so thank goodness for everyone's help!

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
From what I understand from looking online and stuff most people won't sell them till 3 or 4 months old

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
mid-Missouri
From everything I am reading, sounds like I may have trouble with Dozer's overall health and shell condition just based off the fact that the store I bought him from didn't know nothing about nothing! Even knowing my little guy was sold by an idiot, I love him and can't imagine not having him around! Makes me wanna stir some trouble with the store. My son was just there the other day and they had half dozen new babies and a 5 year old with a ridiculous looking shell. And they were bragging how they had rescued this older one but were now offering him for sale for $500! Crazy.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, maybe not. If you have been providing proper heat, humidity, diet, and exercise along with uvb rays (either natural or artificial), your baby will do very well. If he was born in July, he'd be about 6 months old. If you learned how to care properly for him early on, he should be fine. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll have a real beauty. Do you have current pics of him? Please post them.[/font]

Dozers_Mommy said:
From everything I am reading, sounds like I may have trouble with Dozer's overall health and shell condition just based off the fact that the store I bought him from didn't know nothing about nothing! Even knowing my little guy was sold by an idiot, I love him and can't imagine not having him around! Makes me wanna stir some trouble with the store. My son was just there the other day and they had half dozen new babies and a 5 year old with a ridiculous looking shell. And they were bragging how they had rescued this older one but were now offering him for sale for $500! Crazy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lancecham said:
Dozer was probably 2 to 3 weeks old when you got him.

I agree with Lance here.

And if you raised him right from the time you got him, you shouldn't have much trouble. Is he growing normally now? What is his weight? Current pics?

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
mid-Missouri
I'll post some pics later today, it's hard for me to notice his growth because I see him all the time, but my family tells me that he looks like he's grown alot since I got him. Thanks for the input, will definitely post a current pic of him later!

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
mid-Missouri
Here are some pictures of Dozer, though he is like my kids in that I had a hard time getting him to cooperate with my photo shoot. I have included one in my hand so that you can get an idea of how big he is...my hands are pretty small. I am a little worried about the bottom side of his shell though, he has a spot that seems like it is a scrape of sorts...and I wondered if anyone had any guesses for me whether he is indeed a he or a she...thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4760.JPG
    IMG_4760.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4761.JPG
    IMG_4761.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 107

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
mid-Missouri
Hi again...I've posted new pics so I was hoping someone could check them out and give me some input...thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pics look good. Much too young to sex yet. Plastron looks fine and normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.