How to weigh a large tortoise!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Attempted to weigh my new tortoise today and I feel like it was a complete failure. I used a household bathroom scale and set him on it. The first problem I ran into was him trying to walk off. So I put my hand in front of his face, it seemed to slow him down for a second. But the scale only read 34 lbs. I think he's heavier than that. I've had to pick his big butt up enough times. Lol
I weighed him again this time on his back to see if I could get a more accurate reading. But then he wiggled a lot.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get a better reading? I just feel that he's heavier than 34 lbs. If he is, that's the heaviest 34 lbs I've ever lifted!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven't done this. But I have seen members put them on a glass/jar for little one and buckets for bigger ones. Weight the bucket first. Then place the bucket on the scale and your tort on the bucket. Subtract the buckets weight from the tortoises weight and that will be what your tortoise actually weighs. Their plastron sits on the bucket, while their legs hang off, so they can't move around very well. Just keep a close eye on him, so there is no tumble.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow. I think he's a little fed up with me right now. Lol

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
For a bigger tort like yours, you can always get on the scale with your tort, then without; calculate the difference. That's what we do with dogs 10lbs and up, in rescue.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Jabuticaba said:
For a bigger tort like yours, you can always get on the scale with your tort, then without; calculate the difference. That's what we do with dogs 10lbs and up, in rescue.

Winnipeg, Canada

This. I do this for shipping estimates and round up one pound. It is pretty accurate relative to the FedEx balance.

Unless you want to get a better scale/balance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370727678825?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a scale similar to the one shown in Baoh's link. I up-end a 5 gallon bucket on the scale, then sit the tortoise on the bucket. So far the biggest tortoise I've weighed in this manner topped out at a little over 200lbs. the hardest part was picking him up. :D

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Wow. Sounds great. I'll do that first thing tomorrow and get a measurement on him too. And of course grab a few pictures

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I use an accurate bathroom scale and weigh myself first and then the tortoise and me together. Works well. it starts getting hard for me when the tortoise is over 120 pounds.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Lancecham said:
I use an accurate bathroom scale and weigh myself first and then the tortoise and me together. Works well. it starts getting hard for me when the tortoise is over 120 pounds.

120lbs? Yikes! [FLUSHED FACE] What species??

Winnipeg, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.