Weighing my tortoise

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
I saw another post about "Weighing the big guys" and someone mentioned a $60 scale for larger animals, but I haven't found it.

Currently, Hercules is 43 lbs and he is getting more and more difficult to weigh. I struggle with picking him up, so my husband took over the weekly weighing. I imagine that soon enough, neither of us are going to be able to weigh him. What do you guys normally do when you want to weigh your tortoise? I would like a scale that goes up to 200 lbs. Ideally one that would allow him to walk on, because I will not be able to carry him. I appreciate any ideas!! Thanks.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
That one does look nice and is a lot less expensive than the others on the list. The dimensions are 16" x 28" though and I think Sulcata tortoises can get up to 33", so I'm not sure the base is large enough. Does anyone have Sulcata tortoises that are up to 33"?

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
The only other inexpensive option I can think of is to make a dolly for him. Get him on the dolly, roll the dolly on the scale (zero the dolly) and weigh him. The wheels of the dolly would have to fit on the scale, but it should work.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
I heard about flipping them upside down on a bucket, but that would require lifting. The dolly idea is great. We actually have a dolly. Maybe we can just tie a strap to the bottom, get it underneath him and strap him on before he walks away. With that method, I can continue to use my regular bathroom scale.

Thanks for the creative ideas!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
It's probably even less convenient, but most vets offices will let you do free weigh in.