Hows My Tort

Jenny & Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh PA
I am raising my first Sulcata Tortoise and want to make sure he is doing well. I attached some pictures. Is he pyramiding? Does he look healthy? Are those white lines new growth? Let me know if you see anything wrong. Thanks!
156731-e7d67ac8082f480cf98178f63e0f3076.jpg
156730-6abe64763e0afac34fb13e41a5fee039.jpg

Attachments

• tort back log.jpeg
    tort back log.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 17
  • tort in log.png
    tort in log.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 30

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Those pictures are way too small! From what I can see, looks like smooth growth and a lot of it (the white is new growth). How old and large is he?

Last edited:

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Those pictures are way too small! Front what I can see, looks like smooth growth and a lot of it (the white is new growth). How old and large is he?
He is 2 months away from being 1 year old. Sorry the pictures are small, I tried to make them large but couldn't figure it out!

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Much better. His carapace looks great. What's his SCL and weight? He looks big for his age.
I am not sure of his weight right now because he has defiantly grown since his last weigh in. I will have to let you know when I when him later this week. Is the SCL the length of his shell? I have never done that before, but will try and let you know.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
SCL is straight carapace length, (the length of the shell taken straight not curved over the shell). That plus weight are the two most common growth metrics.