Humidity box

Momof3_Gina

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I just got 2 sulcata tortoises on Sunday. They are 2 weeks old now. They have been doing great and are in a 10 gallon aquarium with a heat lamp setup. The bottom is Reptile Bark and the food and water dishes are in the tank also. I'm wondering how do I provide "humidity" to them if they stay inside for the next 2-3 years?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! It seems that a lot of things need to be changed.

-your tortoises need to be separated. Tortoises, especially sulcatas, are completely solitary animals and should never be kept in pairs. It is incredibly stressful for them both, and neither gain anything from it.

-a ten gallon is way too small for one tortoise, let alone two. A hatchling Sulcata should never be kept in anything less than 40 gallons, and even that will only last a few months. In anything smaller, it is impossible to set up a proper heat gradient, and neither tortoise can exercise enough.

For now, I would buy two of the biggest tubs you can find which will probably be 60 gallons, or a 4x2 Christmas tree storage tub.

-your heating/lighting should include a tube uvb, a ceramic heat emitter for night, and a flood light or normal daylight basking bulb for a day time basking spot. Your tortoises need temps to be above 80 day and night with a 100 degree basking spot during the day, and no lights on at night, only the ceramic heat emitter.

To answer your question, you will need to make the enclosure completely enclosed with little to no ventilation. This is easy to do with tubs, where you can cut holes in the lids the size of the lights, and line them with tin foil.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I just got 2 sulcata tortoises on Sunday. They are 2 weeks old now. They have been doing great and are in a 10 gallon aquarium with a heat lamp setup. The bottom is Reptile Bark and the food and water dishes are in the tank also. I'm wondering how do I provide "humidity" to them if they stay inside for the next 2-3 years?

Soak those hatchling daily in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Small enclosures + lighting fixtures can cause tortoises to overheat. Tortoises inside are more likely to get severely dehydrated and develop health complications because of this. Make sure to provide shade and multiple hide boxes in their new enclosures.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
In addition to what @TechnoCheese and @Minority2 said, if you have difficulty maintaining 80+ percent humidity in the enclosure(s), you can purchase a fogger relatively cheap. This is similar to the one I use and sells for about $60 on Amazon:
414TfHbmg6L._AC_US218_.jpg

If you want to get really fancy, you can also purchase a humidity controller for around $40:
81Tt%2BNku6yL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
In addition to what @TechnoCheese and @Minority2 said, if you have difficulty maintaining 80+ percent humidity in the enclosure(s), you can purchase a fogger relatively cheap. This is similar to the one I use and sells for about $60 on Amazon:
414TfHbmg6L._AC_US218_.jpg

If you want to get really fancy, you can also purchase a humidity controller for around $40:
81Tt%2BNku6yL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Just a tip for tortoise owners that do use foggers. Buy only top-fill humidifiers. The hose extension can either be made or bought separately. Carrying a jug of water for refilling is a lot easier and a lot less messier than what you would need to do for bottom-fill humidifiers.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just a tip for tortoise owners that do use foggers. Buy only top-fill humidifiers. The hose extension can either be made or bought separately. Carrying a jug of water for refilling is a lot easier and a lot less messier than what you would need to do for bottom-fill humidifiers.

Interesting. Is there another reason you don't like them other than the refilling aspect? Something I hadn't considered, but I have a utility sink right next to my enclosure so I never gave it much thought.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Interesting. Is there another reason you don't like them other than the refilling aspect? Something I hadn't considered, but I have a utility sink right next to my enclosure so I never gave it much thought.

I own several humidifiers in my home. Bottom-fill humidifiers are fairly reliable but the refilling aspect can get really old, really fast because of their limited storage capacity. Some top-fill humidifiers also have larger openings for easier cleaning.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I own several humidifiers in my home. Bottom-fill humidifiers are fairly reliable but the refilling aspect can get really old, really fast because of their limited storage capacity. Some top-fill humidifiers also have larger openings for easier cleaning.

Cool. Do you have a particular model you'd recommend for the OP?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Cool. Do you have a particular model you'd recommend for the OP?

I'm afraid not. Every type of humidifier has it's advantages and disadvantages. Overtime parts will require maintenance. The best advice is to clean them regularly so that sediment doesn't get built up.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm afraid not. Every type of humidifier has it's advantages and disadvantages. Overtime parts will require maintenance. The best advice is to clean them regularly so that sediment doesn't get built up.

Only thing I notice about mine is a slimy buildup over time under the water container. Gotta wash it once a month. Other than that, no real issues (yet). Well worth what I paid for it so far. Then again, I've only been using it since January.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
In that sulcata care sheet, it talks about closed chambers, you can build one or even buy a large tub and put a towel or shower curtain over it. Before I built my closed chambers I used tub with towel over it. It holds humidity perfect. I never needed a humidifier.

Also when I got my 2 hatchlings, i used 50 gallon tub from Walmart and even that was too small. 10 gallon has to be really small. Try geting something bigger. They have 50 gallon tubs at Walmart for like 17$. You can buy 2 or 3 and just combine them with PVC pipe from home depot. Or if you can build your own closed chamber. I made video of me building my first chamber.

Just a heads up, make sure you have a ceramic bulb conected to a thermostat so it can hold a perfect 80 degree temp inside enclosure.

Another mistake I did, is when setting ceramic and basking bulbs, MAKE SURE THEYRE AT LEAST 12 INCHES FROM TORTOISE SHELL. Also when setting basking temp. I dont measure the floor temp, becuase my tortoises are around 3 inches tall, so I use a little 3 inch block the same size as my torts and take temp at that height[emoji108]

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana

-your tortoises need to be separated. Tortoises, especially sulcatas, are completely solitary animals and should never be kept in pairs. It is incredibly stressful for them both, and neither gain anything from it.

-a ten gallon is way too small for one tortoise, let alone two. A hatchling Sulcata should never be kept in anything less than 40 gallons, and even that will only last a few months. In anything smaller, it is impossible to set up a proper heat gradient, and neither tortoise can exercise enough.

For now, I would buy two of the biggest tubs you can find which will probably be 60 gallons, or a 4x2 Christmas tree storage tub.

-your heating/lighting should include a tube uvb, a ceramic heat emitter for night, and a flood light or normal daylight basking bulb for a day time basking spot. Your tortoises need temps to be above 80 day and night with a 100 degree basking spot during the day, and no lights on at night, only the ceramic heat emitter.

To answer your question, you will need to make the enclosure completely enclosed with little to no ventilation. This is easy to do with tubs, where you can cut holes in the lids the size of the lights, and line them with tin foil.

How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

So you're talking about big plastic totes to separate them correct?

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana
So you're talking about big plastic totes to separate them correct?

And could you please tell me or send me a pic of this and how to set it all up? I'm afraid that they will die if I dont do this in a timely manner. The people we got them from had all the babies in a plastic tub, but no uv lights, lamps, or hide boxes, so I'm sort of lost with all this, but acceptable to change! Thanks (see below your previous response)
your heating/lighting should include a tube uvb, a ceramic heat emitter for night, and a flood light or normal daylight basking bulb for a day time basking spot. Your tortoises need temps to be above 80 day and night with a 100 degree basking spot during the day, and no lights on at night, only the ceramic heat emitter.

Reactions: Tom

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
And could you please tell me or send me a pic of this and how to set it all up? I'm afraid that they will die if I dont do this in a timely manner. The people we got them from had all the babies in a plastic tub, but no uv lights, lamps, or hide boxes, so I'm sort of lost with all this, but acceptable to change! Thanks (see below your previous response)
your heating/lighting should include a tube uvb, a ceramic heat emitter for night, and a flood light or normal daylight basking bulb for a day time basking spot. Your tortoises need temps to be above 80 day and night with a 100 degree basking spot during the day, and no lights on at night, only the ceramic heat emitter.

Here’s an example of a tub-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...66001f5-c1597a80-eb2f1b2324cec4e9&athena=trueView attachment 248490
There are also clear ones of the same size and price. I would recommend walking around Walmart to find one that you like.

You would set this up like any enclosure, but I recommend that you do something like this-IMG_1534396885.449905.jpgIMG_1534396895.121905.jpg
4 inches of orchid bark for substrate, two or more hides, a large terra cotta saucer for the water bowl, a slate to feed on, and a large uvb strip light. Then, put the ceramic heat emitter on one side close to the middle, and the basking lamp on the other. You might be able to fit all of the lighting on one side of the lid, and be able to cut the lid in half so that you can open one end at a time without moving all of the lighting.

You will need to cut holes for all of the lighting on the top and line the holes with tin foil. I’ll be able to show you how I did that tomorrow, because I can’t get to the lid I did that to right now.

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana
Here’s an example of a tub-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...66001f5-c1597a80-eb2f1b2324cec4e9&athena=trueView attachment 248490
There are also clear ones of the same size and price. I would recommend walking around Walmart to find one that you like.

You would set this up like any enclosure, but I recommend that you do something like this-View attachment 248491View attachment 248492
4 inches of orchid bark for substrate, two or more hides, a large terra cotta saucer for the water bowl, a slate to feed on, and a large uvb strip light. Then, put the ceramic heat emitter on one side close to the middle, and the basking lamp on the other. You might be able to fit all of the lighting on one side of the lid, and be able to cut the lid in half so that you can open one end at a time without moving all of the lighting.

You will need to cut holes for all of the lighting on the top and line the holes with tin foil. I’ll be able to show you how I did that tomorrow, because I can’t get to the lid I did that to right now.

Please do. I plan to get it all this weekend. So all the heat and light sources go on top the cage right? Thank You so much!!!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Please do. I plan to get it all this weekend. So all the heat and light sources go on top the cage right? Thank You so much!!!!

They can also go inside the tub, but I’m not sure how to mount them like that.

If you can’t find a sharp enough knife, try taking a lighter and heating up the plastic along where you plan to cut, then start cutting. That’s what I had to do.

Just trace the fixtures, cut it out, and line with foil.IMG_1283.jpg

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana
They can also go inside the tub, but I’m not sure how to mount them like that.

If you can’t find a sharp enough knife, try taking a lighter and heating up the plastic along where you plan to cut, then start cutting. That’s what I had to do.

Just trace the fixtures, cut it out, and line with foil.View attachment 248574
If I get a 40-50 gallon tub, what wattage for the UVB light, che, and basking light would I need?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If I get a 40-50 gallon tub, what wattage for the UVB light, che, and basking light would I need?

That all depends. Just get a normal reptisun 10.0 tube light for uvb, a 100 watt daylight basking bulb(not spot) or a normal 75 watt flood bulb, and I would do a 100 watt CHE with a thermostat.

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana
I'm at the pet store now. All they have are reptiles basking spot lamps. All the bulbs say "basking spot"