humidity confusion

jmpiep

Hi. I'm new the world of owning a tortoise and I'm getting really confused about the ideal humidity for my russian tortoise. Most of the time, the humidity in his enclosure is around 50-65%. However, I live in Chicago and we can have some hot and humid conditions in the summer. Tonight, the humidity is right around 80%, and isn't dropping no matter what I do. I know this is higher than recommended, but the temperature also isn't dropping below 78 degrees. Will this humidity hurt him? I've read that the high humidity will only really hurt if the temperature is also low, but then have also read that the humidity shouldn't get above 70%. Is my guy ("definitely" an adult according to the vet I took him to today) in trouble with the higher humidity? Can anyone clear up this confusion????

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . It might help more if you think about two types of humidity one for indoor enclosures and one for outdoor enclosures . Outside if it's not getting colder then 75 degrees outside put that tort in a outdoor enclosure and let God control the humidity . In doors you control the humidity . Have a great tort day ! Like my torts .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403415744.385570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

jmpiep

Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . It might help more if you think about two types of humidity one for indoor enclosures and one for outdoor enclosures . Outside if it's not getting colder then 75 degrees outside put that tort in a outdoor enclosure and let God control the humidity . In doors you control the humidity . Have a great tort day ! Like my torts .View attachment 84616

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
Thanks for your help! Here's the issue I'm facing. Right now I live in an apartment (hopefully that is going to change soon) so I don't have the outdoor space to make an enclosure. As a result, my tort is in an indoor enclosure right now. During the day, the humidity is ok, but the minute I turn the lamp off, the humidity starts to increase to 75-80%. I'm pretty sure it's because of the humidity in the air. It's been a very rainy summer so far, and the humidity in the air at night can get to 98%. Even with running the air conditioning, the humidity in the air makes it hard for me to decrease the overall humidity in my apartment. Is there a way to decrease the humidity in the enclosure? I've read about using different substrates. Currently, I have coconut coir mixed with play sand. I've heard that can hold humidity. Is there anything that might be a little drier? I've read that top soil (organic) might be better. Would you recommend that? Thanks again for your help!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
What are you using to measure humidity? It's hard to imagine that with the air conditioning on that your humidity is near 80% in your apartment.

jmpiep

What are you using to measure humidity? It's hard to imagine that with the air conditioning on that your humidity is near 80% in your apartment.
I have a little thing that measures the temperature and humidity levels. Maybe it's broken?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can always buy a de-humidifier for the room where you keep the tortoise.

Welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many people keep russians outdoors in South Florida and Louisiana. High humidity will not harm your tortoise, especially in an indoor enclosure with AC and a hot basking bulb.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Is your substrate too wet? When you squeeze it does water drip out?

How much sand did you add to the coco coir? Sand can cause impaction problems when it clings to the food and gets trapped in the digestive tract.

I'm on the east coast and we have high humidity here also but when running the AC and the UV lamps my humidity drops down to about 45 to 50 percent in the tortoise room. Most summer days, my Russians are outdoors roaming in their pens, but I usually bring them in at night. I have raccoons roaming the neighborhood and have not finished predator proofing their our door enclosures.

Good luck.

jmpiep

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but for some reason just turning the AC on wasn't helping. I broke down and bought a dehumidifier and it helped right away (it made the air a lot more bearable for me too..so I guess it was worth it ;)). Thanks again!

Mrs.Burlingame

HI there I have heard different things from people.... do sulcatas need humidity? what about red foots they are both around the size of pop can... the red foot is a little smaller. thanks for all the advice thanks