Humidity for my glass enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Well I put my baby torts in a glass tank for now while they are young. I'm in the process of making an outdoor enclosure for the day for them but I want them indoors during the night cuz of their age and size (I dont want to take any risks) Well I cant figure out the best way to make the humidity higher in these tanks. I really need to keep it high especially for my cherry head enclosure. I need help! tips anyone?

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
I don't know for torts, but for my frog and snakes, there are a couple tricks to keeping the humidity up in glass tanks. I start with this: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...rates/-/pet-tech-40-gallon-bed-a-beast-brick/ as the main bedding. I add a layer of sphagnum moss that I presoak. I have lives plants in the tank, and then I cover ~50% of the screen lid with plastic. With a daily misting, this keeps my tanks at ~70-80 for humidity. Hope this helps.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I agree with LunaLupus on covering your tank and using coco coir for bedding because it does not mold and holds moisture. I use a watering can to water my coco coir bedding every other day because the heat lamps dry it out so quick. You can also install a humidifier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Closed-Chambers#axzz25KHn75H4

I have found no other way. It is simple physics. With an open top heat will rise up and out into your room and your humidity will try to equalize with the room humidity. The warmer you make it the more will evaporate and the more water you'll have to add. Adding more water makes it cooler so you have to bump up your heat, which makes more evaporation... round and round you go. Just close it all up and the warmth and humidity stays where you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.