Humidity for Russian Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
So, humidity. I've never had a reptile before so I do not know how to control humidity. I read that all you have to do it spray the enclosure every hour?

I live in Maryland and I am planning to take him/her outside during the summer but the enclosure will be inside because the lawn is sprayed with some type of chemicals every other week and my parents hire lawn mowers to cut the grass twice a week. I don't think it's a good idea to have the tortoise outside.

Also I do not have an enclosure or a tortoise yet. I'm still planning and researching, trying to figure out what I need to do when I get this tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I think you need to negotiate with your parents about a patch of yard for your tortoise that can be fenced off and free of weedkiller, etc in the longer term. Russians need space. In the wild they roam over large territories and in captivity they are rarely satisfied for long with an indoor enclosure.. their desire to roam is strong. Your tort, when you get him will outgrow an indoor enclosure.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I would suggest using plain old soil (no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers) for a substrate, if you can't keep humidity right with that, mix in some coco coir. Humidity should be at 40-60%, and you should not have to spray every hour. I spray twice a day, and that keeps it high enough.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
How old (big) is your tortoise? Higher humidity is more relevant to young, growing tortoises than with adults of most species. Russian tortoise adults do not really require much humidity or moisture in their enviroment while above ground and active. Russians are a temperature climate true burrowing species. They seek shelter in underground burrows to remain hydrated during hot, dry weather conditions.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Are you getting an adult or a hatchling?

Adult male most likely

JoesMum said:
I think you need to negotiate with your parents about a patch of yard for your tortoise that can be fenced off and free of weedkiller, etc in the longer term. Russians need space. In the wild they roam over large territories and in captivity they are rarely satisfied for long with an indoor enclosure.. their desire to roam is strong. Your tort, when you get him will outgrow an indoor enclosure.

I'll try, but we don't room in the front and the back yard has a very steep slope. I was think of having an outdoor enclosure on the deck (when we do get a deck).

Status
Not open for further replies.