Humidity gets up to 94% sometimes 99% is this ok??

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I bought a repti fogger a couple days ago, and it works great! my only question is, is it bad for the humidity to be that high? The only reason it becomes so high is because the humidity will just not stay up under the heat lamp so i keep the fogger running for long periods of time.On the hot side (under the basking lamp) i can only get the humidity up to 70, if I'm lucky! And on the opposite side, "the cool side" where it never drops below 82, has a humidity always between 80 and 99, since i leave it running. Is that bad? or good

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
sounds great to me. I am unaware of any evidence showing high humidity is a problem.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
sounds great to me. I am unaware of any evidence showing high humidity is a problem.
do you know that if I keep the humidity up this high, will my 11 month old leopard smooth out as she grows older. or will she always be slightly pyramided. (When i bought her she was already pyramiding) I know pyramiding is irreversible, but some guy told me that when he bought his tort it looked like mine (in the picture) and he kept it at high humidity and now its as smooth as a bowling ball.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the Pyramiding will always be there but as it grows smoothly due to the high humidity it will become less and less noticeable like your friends

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto, what dmmj said. Sometimes though, the very top scutes will keep growing pyramided. I don't know why, but those seem to be the hardest to get to stop pyramiding.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
the Pyramiding will always be there but as it grows smoothly due to the high humidity it will become less and less noticeable like your friends
thats great to hear! thank you for your help!!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Ditto, what dmmj said. Sometimes though, the very top scutes will keep growing pyramided. I don't know why, but those seem to be the hardest to get to stop pyramiding.
hmmm thats interesting. I hope though with the high humidity, like dmmj said, it will start to grow smoothly. Thanks for you advice and help!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
One of my leo's came with some minor pyramiding. It is much less noticeable now that he is a year old and has been kept very humid. Like the others said, it should be less obvious as time goes on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as your temps are good and warm day and night, high humidity will not be an issue.

Still, I don't like using humidifiers. The solution should not be to dump more humidity into the enclosure. The solution should be to stop the existing humidity from escaping the enclosure. In other words, instead of continuously bailing out your boat with a bucket, simply plug the hole.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I never used a humidifier but my juvenile night chamber was consistently in the high 90-99%RH
No problems as long as the temps are where they should be.

instead of continuously bailing out your boat with a bucket, simply plug the hole.
Excellent way to put it..

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
As long as your temps are good and warm day and night, high humidity will not be an issue.

Still, I don't like using humidifiers. The solution should not be to dump more humidity into the enclosure. The solution should be to stop the existing humidity from escaping the enclosure. In other words, instead of continuously bailing out your boat with a bucket, simply plug the hole.

I have tried to "plug the hole" and have done the best i could, but use the repti fogger to keep the humidity where i like it.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
One of my leo's came with some minor pyramiding. It is much less noticeable now that he is a year old and has been kept very humid. Like the others said, it should be less obvious as time goes on.
oh ok thats really cool, and Im glad to hear that!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have tried to "plug the hole" and have done the best i could, but use the repti fogger to keep the humidity where i like it.

Sometimes there are just too many holes to plug and you really just need to build a new boat that is better designed for your particular application.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Sometimes there are just too many holes to plug and you really just need to build a new boat that is better designed for your particular application.
Trust me, I have been building this tortoise table pond liner closed chamber etc. for months and spending a ton of money on it and man power, and its just not holding it in. The fogger bumps up the humidity and adds a tropical effect to the whole enclosure that i think is kinda cool for the tort, and it doesn't cause any health problems, and the humidity is great for them so im just keep doing what im doin.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Trust me, I have been building this tortoise table pond liner closed chamber etc. for months and spending a ton of money on it and man power, and its just not holding it in. The fogger bumps up the humidity and adds a tropical effect to the whole enclosure that i think is kinda cool for the tort, and it doesn't cause any health problems, and the humidity is great for them so im just keep doing what im doin.
but i also agree with what you're saying, hopefully soon i can build one that is top of the line! but for now its the repti fogger!