Humidity in enclosures.

Tumeera

Location (City and/or State)
Benoni
Hey guys I know humidity is important for tortoises as it prevents pyramidimg. However almost all enclosures I've seen look dry and their torts don't look wet but normal. Those of you who do have humidity in your enclosure could you please send me pictures as to how your setup looks and any advice would be appreciated.

For me I use a spray bottle 3 times a day and my substrate is damp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys I know humidity is important for tortoises as it prevents pyramidimg. However almost all enclosures I've seen look dry and their torts don't look wet but normal. Those of you who do have humidity in your enclosure could you please send me pictures as to how your setup looks and any advice would be appreciated.

For me I use a spray bottle 3 times a day and my substrate is damp.
Most people aren't housing them correctly. They are still using the old incorrect dry methods.

Here are mine:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Humidity in your enclosure wouldn't neccesarily make your tortoise look wet.
And pyramiding is just a cosmetic issue. But it can also indicate other issues also caused by lack of humidity and hydration that are serious.
Use Orchid bark. Pour some water into the corners of your enclosure so that the bark absorbs the water. The top layer remains dry. The humidity goes up and you can get rid of the spray bottle.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Converted 75 gallon tank. Built a wood to top with foam board glued to the bottom to protect from moisture. The light and radiant heat panel are attached to the underside of the lid. I don't add water. Humidity stays 90% with just the moisture from the mulch and water dish.IMG_20200315_085601526.jpgIMG_20200315_085614296.jpgIMG_20200315_085656734.jpg
IMG_20200315_085305708.jpg

ISU

South Korea
Converted 75 gallon tank. Built a wood to top with foam board glued to the bottom to protect from moisture. The light and radiant heat panel are attached to the underside of the lid. I don't add water. Humidity stays 90% with just the moisture from the mulch and water dish.View attachment 288100View attachment 288101View attachment 288102
View attachment 288103

Hi,What plants are in your picture? I have a leopard and I want to add plants to the enclosure. Does the tort eat it?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi,What plants are in your picture? I have a leopard and I want to add plants to the enclosure. Does the tort eat it?
The two on the right in the corner are fake. They aren't the plastic fake ones though they're the fabric type ones so the tortoise can't eat them if they tried. The plant in the left corner is Pothos. It's a great enclosure plant and grows easily. Also yes the tortoise does occasionally eat the Pothos.