Humidity issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I having an issue with.my newly built enclosure.
1379513219772.jpg
I originally built it with screens in the windows as the.picture shows, but about 3 weeks in my cats started to jump on the screens and break them out. Luckily I built it with this in mind and had a quick fix to insert plexi-glass. Now that the plexi glass is in I can't keep my himidity down being a closed chamber. With doors closed I run 80-99% humidity. Is this a problem for a greek. I believe they are supposed to be around 40-50%. Also my ambient temps have increased to 80-83 when my 100w Powersun is on. Night time temps drop to room temp usually around 70 with a CHE on thermostat for 65. The torts age is unknown being bought from petsmart and most likly WC. She is approx. 4.75" long.
1379513852746.jpg
Any opinion will help. Ty!

Last edited by a moderator:

kirby2591

5 Year Member
Not sure if it will help guessing age but in the 7 momths I've pwned her she's grown 3/4 of an inch

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
If your tortoise is still under a juvenile age, having humidity at about 70 or a little higher is actually alright. You probably want to have it vent or leave a small crack to let the moisture out. Don't fully close it. Let your substrate dry out a little.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I have it cracked open 2" at the bottom with blocks... think I'm going to meed to vuild vents up top.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
sirjojo said:
can tortoise breath in an enclosed box ?

Yes a Tort can, think of it like closing the door to your bedroom you don't run out of air, its the same for the tort. Also with you opening it a couple times a day for food or water or misting you get plenty of air exchange for them.

I had a similar problem with the screening and cats on my enclosure, I ended up swapping to hardware cloth, as it is strong enough to hold the cats, and still keeps them out.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Because this is for a Greek, putting
vents in is a great idea.
The enclosure looks like pretty furniture.

Sent from my TFOapp

kirby2591

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Humidity issue?

Team Gomberg said:
Because this is for a Greek, putting
vents in is a great idea.
The enclosure looks like pretty furniture.

Sent from my TFOapp

TY! that was my goal so my wife would approve of it taking up 1/2 our dinning room :) its got a 71"x40" footprint and stands 5ft tall

1379557714800.jpg
Pic with the plexi-glass in

jacktaylor900

5 Year Member
Drill some holes too small for cats and to small for torts on the back of the enclosure

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
man i want a close chamber enclosure! save money on electricity! use a lower watt bulbs and just make sure your substrate is more on the dry side... this will prevent the humidity from rising...

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I have seen that babies and juveniles do well with high humidity, but if it is an adult, humidity that high will likely result in illness.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I ended up putting in 2-2"x12" floor registers in the top of the enclosure. One on each side and that way I can adjust the flow and hopefully create a temperature gradient.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Humidity issue?

Linz2491 said:
That is a beautiful enclosure! I am so jealous!

Ty! Lots of hard work.

Think I'm finally getting somewhere! With vents in and fully open humidty is good and temps only a tad high.
1380129291561.jpg

And pics of the vents
1380129406563.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.