Humidity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

albert

5 Year Member
I have read that redfoot tortoises need humidity around 80 % and temps in the 80's (at least 95 for basking).

I also have read that it is best to have an outdoor enclosure in the summer time but the temps here in Canada don't always get into the 80's during the summer and for sure not into the 90's very often. The humidity isn't always at 80% either.

How important is it to maintain a high humidity? I could always use a lamp outdoors to boost the temp (heaven forbid its on when it rains!). I have read that one possible detriment is the increased likelihood of pyramiding. Or am i being overly cautious?:(

My tank temps are 80 F in the cool area, 95 F at the basking slate and humidity at 75%.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Albert, your temps / humidity sound just fine! . The 80 # is just a so called " perfect" number. swing 10 to 15 degress through out the day and " seasons" is to be expected. And honest " wouldnt that replicate nature anyhow? " Sounds like your doing everything just right!

JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Aim for humid microclimates (under plants, mud wallows, etc.) and good hydration and everything should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.