Humidity

Kaliman1962

I just bought a Zoo Med reptile fogger, have it on low & it's keeping my tank a perfect 80%, not wet, just humid. This what everyone has been saying so just making sure, also, can I shut it off at night or let it run?image.jpeg

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I don't think too many use the foggers. I love mine.

I have mine wired to a humidistat and through a relay to my basking spot so it will only run during the day or when below 80%, but that takes some experience with electrical to be able to make something like that work.

I fill my bottle at night. Throughout the night the humidity level will drop. Then in the morning when the basking light kicks on so will the fogger.

Are you using tap water or distilled?

Kaliman1962

I'm using distilled water, should I let it run all night or when the lights come on?
This is the best thing I bought, no more spray bottles, works beautifully

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Personally I can't imagine just letting it run wild all the time. Seems like it would just be a water eater. From everything I understand you really need to use the distilled water too, so while the stuff isn't expensive it still adds up. I've probably been spending about ten dollars a month on water for the fogger.

The really important question here before we can really answer your question is what are you nighttime temps? Even more important than that I guess is what is the temp within his hide (if he uses it) at night?

If it's dipping below 80F degrees then yes turn that fogger off. Do not run that thing cold. I have my thermostat set to run my heat at 85F just so I can be sure to stay warm enough, but despite that is why I tied the fogger to my bask in spot so it will only run during the day when temps are higher. That lets the humidity drop a little at night when it is cooler.

I see your enclosure isn't completely covered. Several people here use tin foil to cover their openings around their lights. That would help you hold the humidity without running the fogger so much. What are you using for the substrate?

Kaliman1962

When the lights go out, the temp goes down below 80 cause of air conditioning, in his hide I open the top & have a CHE heat bulb, so it stays around 85 at that end. I'm only uncovered at the light but I just ordered a big new tank so that won't be an issue when it's delivered in Oct. his substrate is Eco Earth, I will shut the fogger off when lights go off,