Humidity

ctapio1230

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
so I am having trouble getting my humidity to stay up. It’s a closed chamber aquarium pretty big. I was wondering if anyone has used one of the portable humidifier. Theres a picture of what I’m looking at

Attachments

• E0CB230D-259D-45B3-9B65-913C0EC86713.jpeg
    E0CB230D-259D-45B3-9B65-913C0EC86713.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 45

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
For my baby Greeks and Russians I always keep their substrate damp (not soaking). With their basking light and UVB on during the day, and a CHE at night, their enclosures stay nice and hot and humid.

A humid hide is also very helpful.

I have a Reptifogger on-hand, but rarely have to use it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes a lot of people have used them are still are. Be sure it's a warm air mist humidifier.
However, if you have a closed chamber and you wet the substrate not just with a spray bottle and a few sprays but wet the substrate you shouldny have a problem. When the top dries out, stir it up so the wet underneath comes to the top. You shouldnt have too add water very often this way. Maybe once a week or even less.

ctapio1230

South Carolina
I keep trying to wet it but it doesn’t seem to hold the humidity even with the lid and damp substrate

aqualungs

Perry, OH
It just might need refilling quick. I think the best setups I’ve seen are home humidifiers with a tube connected to it. Put that on a tilted and it could go hot to 2 days maybe without refilling.

S

SuIcata

This is a picture
Not wet enough
I use garden soil about 6 inches deep
I put 77 gallons of soil in my enclosure...
Then I put like 26 gallons of water inside
If I stick my finger in the soil I can feel the water.
I get 100% humidity in the whole enclosure
Only directly under the basking light It's slightly lower at 94% humidity
I don't recommend putting that much water in ur enclosure I got a drainage pipe so every two days I change the water completely...

If u cant drain the water it will cause bacteria to grow that's not good

I would buy a cement mixing tub a big one
Create a drainage
And then cover the top with foil
U could do that with just about 100$

Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species are we talking about, and what size?

I don't like using humidifiers. If things are drying out in there, you have too much ventilation. Better to fix that problem than to pump in wet air.

What is the top covered with? Having the lights outside will create a chimney effect and suck the heat and humidity up and out of your enclosure.

ctapio1230

South Carolina
It’s covered with a thick plastic. The light is under it and the heating element has a hole in the plastic but not to no around it

Ayotl

Orange County
0B2450AD-D7B1-4B5B-B8A7-8D49B6BA3488.jpeg
I think this should do the trick you should be able to hold in humidity & heat. Tape over the lid and cut out what you need. Try checking with some more forum members as I have not used it for this purpose. However you can also use the tape to cover the glass so the tortoise can’t see out as well :)

pip wallace

Evesham UK
so I am having trouble getting my humidity to stay up. It’s a closed chamber aquarium pretty big. I was wondering if anyone has used one of the portable humidifier. Theres a picture of what I’m looking at
I had this trouble until I used sphagnum moss. It holds moisture. I mixed some with the substrate and some in her hide and my humidity went from 60% to 80+. I spray twice a day.