Humidity

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
With overhead basking lamps and heating elements to keep our little one warm and toasty the shell gets dehydrated in a hurry. So does the baby tortoise. To mitigate these conditions, daily soakings, daily shell spraying, an enclosure that maintains 80% relative humidity, and a hiding box that further increase the humidity work together to allow the shell to grow as smooth as possible.

I believe that Tom has stated these need with examples in: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

To my knowledge, everyone that has followed his advice, starting with a hatchling, has been happy with the results. Others that have started with an older tortoise, a baby or yearling, but adopted the same type of care as he has suggested have had good results.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Kball, here is my 20 month old sulcata that has been, and continues to be raised with the hot and humid method mentioned in these previous posts. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401167851.135766.jpg

24christina24

5 Year Member
I can't get the humidity above 50.What should I do to get the humidity higher?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about an older sulcata

Depends largely on how they are housed. For my older ones that still have a lot of growing to do, I keep their heated night boxes at around 60-70% humidity, but they walk around in the dry air here all day. This seems to do the trick.