Humitidy for Spider tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitz12

5 Year Member
I'm about 3 months I'm going to get a Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides. I'm having trouble finding the humidity requirements for hatchling and adults, what are they? also I was told their basking temp needs to be between 90-100f and and the cool side needs to be in the 80's, is this true? Thank you for your help

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
My arachnoides temps drop to as low as 60 or so degrees in the dead of winter. I mist them daily, but they remain very dry in the winter. I make sure to pull them from their winter dormancy to soak them and ensure they haven't lost too much weight.

Their activity is directly correlated to rainfall, so a daily morning soak makes sure they have a nice daily activity regiment. It's not enough to wake them over the dry, cool winter though.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I am bit curious to know if you need a permit or something to own these guys. The species I know is found in the southern part of Madagascar with spiny vegetation that is more dryish land and not full tropical jungle. Madagascar has a wet and dry season, but the humidity should probably be in the 80s or so for their "wet season" and in the 30-40 in their "dry season".

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
They're not listed by the Endangered Species Act, so they are free to be owned like any other unlisted exotic here in the states.

Like radiata, they are considered Critically Endangered by the IUCN, but that doesn't mean they are protected here.

They are also listed on CITES, which only limits their import/export between countries.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Anthony P said:
They're not listed by the Endangered Species Act, so they are free to be owned like any other unlisted exotic here in the states.

Like radiata, they are considered Critically Endangered by the IUCN, but that doesn't mean they are protected here.

They are also listed on CITES, which only limits their import/export between countries.

Okay, but do you suspect that there will be any laws sometime soon on them preventing their export and import?

Also I hope the answers on the humidity for the tank helped.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
CourtneyG said:
Anthony P said:

Okay, but do you suspect that there will be any laws sometime soon on them preventing their export and import?

Also I hope the answers on the humidity for the tank helped.

Those decisions are made during beginning of the year committee. They are followed up by CITES international committee meetings. For instance last year the committee was held in China and elevated Platynota to CITES I but USFW did not place them on the Endangered species act. So you still do not need a CBW permit to cross state lines with them same goes for egyptian tortoises. No way of knowing until they amend the Endangered Species Act and add those species to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.