Huzzah, they are active!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Well, I am happy to report that this year, unlike the last (the first winter I had them), my Russian tortoises are not trying to brumate, and are staying active and keeping up their appetite. Not entirely sure why that is, but I'm glad to see it. So, since one of them had some difficulty last time, I am overwintering them, and not sticking them in the fridge. I think I will continue to overwinter them until I can let them brumate naturally outdoors. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I am seeing the same thing this year. I was prepared to brumate them in the Greenhouse (outside is not an option with our rain), but only one female seems to be winding down out there and I may need to transfer her out soon.
The male is inside in a tortoise table as he had a rough Spring, but the other two females outside are still basking during the day in the GH and roving around. Since the temps in the GH are great, I offer them food every 2-3 days and they chow down. Still soaking them as well. We will see what happens this winter.

That is good news, as it was a real quandary last year for you!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I imagine here in CA my russias won't be down long, this winter looks like it will be warmer than usual.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Happy for the good news. That can be a tough adjustment for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.