I’m Sadden

Orbela

I went on business trip for a week and come back to learn my Sulcata escaped. Wife had instruction to not take Sulcata out while I was away. But she decided Ammo need fresh air. So she forgot ammo outside overnight and morning she couldn’t find it. Every is board except the door the board is loose. Which you can’t see until you pull. I’ll post a video later. Informed neighbor to keep eye out. Hoping for the best.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
One of our Florida members lost his three redfooted tortoises recently. He put up these posters on utility poles:

img_9815-jpg.240797

So far he has had two of the tortoises returned to him due to the poster.

Go door to door and let all your neighbors know that your tortoise escaped. Ask the kids in the neighborhood to help you look. Put ads on craigslist.com and on nextdoor.com and in the local paper's classified section. Maybe even tack up a 3x5 card on pet store bulletin boards.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Put some tasty treats out every few feet around your house and keep checking to see if he comes back to eat any. Also most torts are attracted to red. See if you can find something like a red bucket and put it out in your yard with some food next to it. Sorry, hope you find him!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is nothing like bribery and something irresistible like strawberries left in likely basking spots could be effective.

Check the sunny spots in your garden first thing where your tort will naturally head to warm up and start the day

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Best of luck in finding your tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, brave wife. My husband wouldn't not had risked his life.
Good luck, all good advice already given. Except don't stop looking, more are found then not.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
How old is your sulcata? How large is he? I would do everything the others have already advised

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Do all the things people posting here advise. I don’t know if you fed your tort wet Mazuri, I know mine perk right up and can smell it 50 yds away. Might try setting out some plates of it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don’t give up. I lost a tortoise once and found three weeks later. I put ads on craigslist and Facebook. That’s how he was found, I Facebook post. And I put flyers all over the neighborhood and contacted all the local vets, and the animal shelter.

Orbela

That’s guys for the advise, I will it up poster and now I will be leaving out Mazari and fresh spring mix.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
That’s guys for the advise, I will it up poster and now I will be leaving out Mazari and fresh spring mix.
Good luck. I've lost a tortoise and he was found wandering down the road!

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
My CDT mad a break for it some years back. Lucky for me a thoughtful neighbor about 3 blocks away found him and put found tortoise flyers in all the mailboxes in the neighborhood. They turned him over to animal control. You may want to check with them.

lisastethem

5 Year Member
Mooresville, NC
I used mylostpetalert.com that will make recorded phone calls to your neighbors. I ended up finding my red foot in a small wooded area beside my house but people did call and say they spotted a turtle in different locations. They also fax a flyer to all vets in the area. It gave me peace of mind using them even though I found her myself after two days.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
One of our Florida members lost his three redfooted tortoises recently. He put up these posters on utility poles:

img_9815-jpg.240797

So far he has had two of the tortoises returned to him due to the poster.

Go door to door and let all your neighbors know that your tortoise escaped. Ask the kids in the neighborhood to help you look. Put ads on craigslist.com and on nextdoor.com and in the local paper's classified section. Maybe even tack up a 3x5 card on pet store bulletin boards.

Kids are your best bet. They are the ones roaming the neighborhood looking for things to do. Plus they’re closer to the ground than adults. Offer twenty bucks (or whatever) to the first kid who spots him!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I know what you're going thru. Lost my sully yesterday. This morning was tough not going thru the normal ritual. Has the sun warmed up had friends over to help me look for Opo hopefully basking. No luck. Expanded my flier area. And read some other good ideas about in this thread. Good luck my friend

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Don’t give up. I lost a tortoise once and found three weeks later. I put ads on craigslist and Facebook. That’s how he was found, I Facebook post. And I put flyers all over the neighborhood and contacted all the local vets, and the animal shelter.
Did you just post on your FB page or is there a lost and found page? Just lost my silly yesterday. Thanks

nathanlevi

California, North Hollywood, LA
When I lost my tortoise I searched everywhere around the house and on the streets and sidewalk around the house after 3 days i found him when i was not searching. You will find the tortoise when you least expect it