Neighbors found a giant sulcata

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Excellent start to the day. Neighbor frantically knocking on our door saying " Your tortoise is loose wandering in the street a block away ". We checked and our guy is snoozing in his night box like an angel. Sure enough there is ANOTHER big sulcata in the neighborhood that is wandering around. We drove over to go pick that one up a block away. Someone is there watching her but the neighbors there were a bit freaked out and they called the police. So a police motorcycle and a police truck are there waiting to see what they can do. Fun.

Nobody wanted to get near this scary thing. The police were happy when we arrived and my husband put her in the truck. They could not believe he just picked her up. We agreed we will look for the owners and continue to keep her if she is not claimed. The police men were sort of entertained now and started taking pictures of her with their cameras. We were all entertained and I was completely jazzed that wah-lah now we have another sulcata. What are the odds? Now my husband, being the reasonable one, says he is going to the people across the way to see if they lost a tortoise since he heard once they have a turtle or something. Long story short, yeah, that's her home. She dug her way out and they did not even know she was gone. With one quick look she says yep that's her! Such a crushing moment. Easy come easy go they say... Truly we are delighted this 13 year old girl (yes it IS a girl) is home safe. We figured she was well cared for, her shell is gorgeous.

Who knew being a tortoise owner could have so much community involvement.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
AAAAAGH ... That's what I thought too when we finally got home. Gee's what a dingle head missed opportunity. Maybe the cop will post his pictures :)

Seriously though, she is such a friendly sulcata and has a nice looking shell, particularly in comparison to our guy who we adopted this year. He has some pyramiding but he is way cool and has a great personality.

I will see about going over there and getting some pictures of her.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Funny story, glad you got her back home. Its amazing how some people have absolutely no idea what a tortoise is.